Free Genealogy Programs
- Legacy Family Tree
- Legacy is a genealogy management program designed to help you organise your
family history research. The stardard edition is free and
has more limited features than the deluxe version available to purchase.
However, the free version still has lots of useful features and produces some nice reports
including the ability to make ancestral books and websites easily. To compare which edition is most suitable for your genealogy needs, see: General Features of Standard and Deluxe Legacy Family Tree.
- Ancestral Quest
- Ancestral Quest is another genealogy management program designed to help you organise your family history records. It is available in both paid and free versions. The Ancestral Quest Basics version is free and is able to produce family group sheets, pedigree charts, wall charts and family history reports, amongst other things. A full feature list comparing what features are available in the free and paid versions can be found at: Compare Ancestral Quest Versions.
- UK Parish Locator
- This is a very useful freeware program enabling you to locate over 15,000
UK parishes. It can find the distance between any two specified parishes,
provide a list of parishes within any given radius of a parish and even plot
the location of parishes, either on screen or for you to print out.
Useful Apps for Mobile & Tablets
- Ancestry - Out and about doing research? You can now take your family tree with you, add new family members, upload photos and share with your family. This app is free to download and syncs with your Ancestry Family Tree.
- Find a Grave - Search over a 100 million gravestones and burial records with this free mobile app. Record your own family grave sites and take photos of headstones to share online. Help others by responding to photo requests and post your own.
- Office Lens - This is a useful free mobile scanning app from Microsoft that can digitize documents, photos and notes. It has the ability to capture an image, then enhance it by cropping, sharpening and straightening and then it can be saved to One Note, OneDrive or locally on the device. Available for Windows 8/8.1/10, iOS and Android platforms.
Other Useful Free Programs
is a personal information manager that can help you schedule your day,
manage your contacts, keep track of 'To Do Lists' and organise your notes.
(See full-features list)
It has a host of uses for organising your personal life, but could also be used
to store notes and reminders for your genealogy research. If you have seen Microsoft's
Outlook, then this is very similar... without the email facilities. The basic version
is free, although there is a Pro-Version available to purchase.
is a free graphics viewer for Windows platforms. It is also a graphics editor
with lots of other features including the ability to resize graphics and add effects
is a free multi-platform office productivity suite comprising a word processor,
spreadsheet, presentation manager and drawing manager. It is free to download and use.
is an image and photo manipulation software that supports layers, special effects, unlimited undo and a wide variety of other useful tools. This is free to download and use, but please check the minimum System Requirements.