Personal Devon Websites
This section provides links to personal websites dedicated to Devon that have been
submitted by researchers.
- A Genealogists Devon Connection
- Hosted by Shirley Turner and containing lots of information for Devon.
- DaF Genealogy
- A forum dedicated to those researching their Devon ancestry. This site
also now has it's own chatroom.
- Devon DNA Project
- The Devon DNA project is for those with a direct paternal or maternal ancestral
line originating in the county of Devon. The only requirement for joining is
that participants must have documented evidence linking either their paternal
or maternal line to Devon. Debbie Kennett is the Group Administrator for this project.
- Devon Heritage
- M. Brine's website containing information, both past and present for the county of Devon.
- Devon History Selection
- John Lerwill's pages dedicated to Devon with a wealth of fascinating information about the county.
- Littleham (near Bideford)
- Liz Shakespeare has published two books on the parish of Littleham (near Bideford)
in Devon, which may be of interest to those with ancestors from this parish.
Liz provides indexes of surnames and place-names on her website and these indexes
are also included at GENUKI, which you can find by clicking on the book titles below.
L. Shakespeare (1990)
The Memory Be Green: An Oral History of a Devon Village
L. Shakespeare (2005)
Fever: A Story from a Devon Churchyard
- Petrockstowe One Place Genealogy
- Contains a wealth of information for the area including Parish and Census records.
- Plymouth Data
- Brian Moseley has spent over 40 years researching the history of Plymouth. His
website contains a wealth of information covering the "Three Towns" of
old Plymouth, Devonport and East Stonehouse (commonly known as Stonehouse),
along with the ancient parishes of St. Budeaux, Eggbuckland and Tamerton Foliot.
- South Hams Family History
- Roy Osborn's website is dedicated to the South Hams area of Devon, roughly
bounded by Dartmoor, the sea, the River Erme and River Dart. It contains
a collection of indexes, census transcriptions and a free look-up service of church
registers for most of the parishes within the ancient district of South Hams.
This link will take you to a
List of the Parishes covered in the South Hams.
- Barbara Lupton's lovely website dedicated to the parish of Templeton in Devon.
This is a work in progress tracing the people and families that lived in the parish.
- United Kingdom Genealogy (includes Devon)
- Hosted by Nigel Batty-Smith. Includes scans from Devon and Cornwall Record Society's
publications of Registers of Exeter Cathedral, Parracombe (1597-1836), Plymtree (1538-1837)
and also the Visitations of Devon. Nigel is transcribing WHITE's (1878) Devonshire
Directory and will be adding The Western Antiquary (11 Volumes) in due course.
This site also has information relating to genealogy in other parts of the United Kingdom.