TWM Free CENsus Projects
plus an summary table for England, with the Channel Islands,
the Isle of Man and England & Wales Shipping
We added 198,839 England records to the FreeCEN database on 27th Jul 2015
My name is Terry Waters-Marsh and I am the FreeCEN Coordinator for Wiltshire and the Middlesex parts of London 1871. If you are interested in assisting with either of these counties, please get in touch.
So, what is FreeCEN? — read below about this volunteer project.
Please use the links to the left to go to either of the counties in my care. Or see the England summary table which also gives the numbers of records already online for all the England counties by census year.
|COUNTY||RECORDS ONLINE for|
|Name & site||Current Coord.||1841 Pop (est.)||1841||1851||1861||1871||1891|
|England pop (est.)||14,860,800||16,764,500||19,891,600||21,299,700||27,231,100|
|Percentage online (est.)||14.2||3.9||42.9||17.2||26.0|
|Total England records online ||22,381,271|
|Channel Islands||Brenda Bowers||76,100||50,927||5,673|
|County Durham||Carol Barber||324,300||531,261||375,519||47,458|
|Isle of Man||Brenda Bowers||48,000||6,660|
|Lancashire 1841||Brenda Bowers||1,667,000||0|
|London 1891 (pt)||Barbara Pearce||3,254,300
|London 1891 (pt) ||Brenda Bowers|
|London 1871 ||Terry Waters-Marsh|| 4,751|
|Shipping (England & Wales)|| 99,200||13,674|
|Somerset 1891||Brenda Bowers||160,719|
|Staffordshire (North)||Ian Cameron||510,500||0||457,737||111,664|
|Staffordshire (South)||Dave Dudley|
|Suffolk 1891||Brenda Bowers||162,445|
|Sussex||Simon & Chris Brickell||299,800||143,060||358,160||420,025||553,971|
|Westmorland||Carol Barber||56,500||60,816|| 58,510||0|
|Yorkshire (East Riding)||Carol Barber||1,591,500||116,735||93,478||0|
|Yorkshire (North Riding)||Carol Barber||102,963||105,148||3,734|
|Yorkshire (West Riding)||Carol Barber||824,874||326,247||399,795|
- The FreeCEN Cornwall team have also transcribed the 1881 census, putting a further 326,187 records online.
- London 1891, only the districts of Bethnal Green, Mile End, Pancras, Stepney, and Whitechapel.
- London 1871, only the Middlesex RDs.
- Figure for the Middlesex districts only.
- Includes the Cornwall 1881 records.
- All population estimates are taken from, or calculated from, the digitised Census Reports as seen on online historical population reports.
- This figure for Shipping (Navy plus Merchant Seamen) is for the whole of Great Britain and also includes prisoners aboard the convict hulks stationed in the River Medway, Chatham. A further 89,000 Army personnel were enumerated abroad or in Ireland.
- Although previously marked as complete, awaiting transcription of piece 5269 that was missing from initial scan set.
What is FreeCEN?
The FreeCEN project was commenced in 1999 with the aim to make high quality transcriptions of the 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881 and 1891 England, Wales and Scotland censuses. The transcriptions are freely available online in an easy to access and search database.
The project is under the trusteeship of the FreeUKGEN group which also operates the FreeBMD and FreeREG projects — all these run on a 100% volunteer basis. Many thousands of volunteers from all over the world have contributed their time and efforts to make the census records freely available.
I first got involved in 1999 when I saw the call for volunteers for Wiltshire which is where my ancestors originated from. I started transcribing and knew I was hooked when I saw my first transcription online for the whole world to access.
Since then I have stepped up and taken on being the coordinator for Wiltshire (in 2000) and more recently London 1871.
There is still much work to be done to complete these counties. If you would like to be part of either of these wonderful and very worthwhile projects, please contact me, Terry Waters-Marsh.