HILLINGDON FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

PARISH of HILLNGDON

1.   DESCRIPTION

"HILLINGDON is an extensive and populous parish, in Elthorne hundred, and Uxbridge union, rural deanery and county court district: it surrounds the parish of Cowley: and the township of Uxbridge: it is 14 miles from London, on the Uxbridge Road and the village is 2½ miles north from the West Drayton station on the Great Western Railway, which, as well as the Grand Junction Canal and the river Colne passes through the parish. The church of St. John the Baptist is in the centre of the parish and village, situate on a commanding eminence, and is a conspicuous object form many miles: it is a very fine edifice of the third period of Pointed architecture, and contains several fine monuments. The register dates from 1513. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £480, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of London, and held by the Rev. Richard Croft, M.A., of Balliol College, Oxford, rural dean. The parish extends over 4,720 acres, and the population in 1861 was 7,522."

GOULD'S GREEN is a hamlet in Hillingdon parish, one mile south from that village. Here is Moorcroft House, one of the largest private lunatic asylums (for the upper classes) in the kingdom.

PIELD HEATH AND COLHAM GEEEN are hamlets in Hillingdon parish. At the latter place is situate the Poor House of the Uxbridge union and the union infirmary.

YIEWSLEY is a village in Hillingdon parish, on the road from Uxbridge to West Drayton railway station, the river Colne, and the Grand Junction Canal. St. Matthew's chapel of ease has been erected for this district; it is a plain brick building, with turret and 1 bell. The Rev. William Newland Stedman, M.A., of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge, is the officiating clergyman.

COLHAM is a village, which has sprung up round the West Drayton station, in Hillingdon parish and Uxbridge county court district, and bears the name of the old manor, which spreads over nearly the whole of that parish. Parish Clerk, Robert William Hetherington.
From the Post Office Directory Middlesex 1866

2.   CHURCH

The parish church of St. John the Baptist:

3.   CHURCH RECORDS

Parish Registers held for St. John the Baptist, at London Metropolitan Archive:

Records of St John the Baptist parish, Hillingdon held at
Hillingdon Local Studies, Archives and Museum Service, 2013

Main collection DPR/JBH

Churchwardens DPR/JBH/1

Vestry DPR/JBH/2

Charities DPR/JBH/3

Overseers of the poor DPR/JBH/4

Other papers DPR/JBH/5

Constables DPR/JBH/6

Surveyors of the Highways DPR/JBH/7

Additional records DPR/JBH/ADD2

Additional records (2) DPR/JBH/ADD3

Additional records (3) DPR/JBH/A/003

TYPED TRANSCRIPTS

By West Middlesex Family History Society

PUBLISHED TRANSCRIPTS


‘Middlesex Parish Registers; marriages’, ed. W P W Phillimore
and T Gurney in 6 vols (inc. Hillingdon 1559-1812). (Phillimore, ?1914).

Phillimore’s Marriages 1559 – 1812 also available on microfilm
from Latter Day Saints 

4.  CENSUS RECORDS

5.  LOCAL PUBLICATIONS

Return to Home Page

© Hillingdon FHS
Last updated June 2013
Valid XHTML 1.1! Valid CSS!