BRAMPTON, a parish in the hundred of LEIGHTONSTONE, county of HUNTINGDON, 2¼ miles (W. by S.) from Huntingdon, containing 1064 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £8.1.4., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Prebendary of Brampton in the Cathedral Church of Lincoln. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is partly in the decorated, and partly in the later, style of English architecture, with a fine south porch, enriched with elegant tracery. Samuel Pepys, Esq., secretary to the Admiralty in the reigns of Charles II. and James ll., and elected President of the Royal Society in 1654, was born here; his Memoirs, comprisiilg his diary from 1659 to 1669, with a biographical sketch by Lorcl Braybrooke, were published, in two vols. 4to., in 1825.
This extract is from "Samuel Lewis Topographical Gazeetter - 1831"
Return to Places Index page
on: 21 May 2001
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.