The ancient church which appears to have been dedicated to St Andrew, but later was generally spoken of as St James the Great, stood at the east end of the village. It was destroyed by a storm in 1724 and in 1728 was rebuilt 'in humble imitation of Pembroke College' (Cambridge). It had only one small bell without a wheel.This church was pulled down and a new church was built on another site in 1856, but the ancient churchyard continued to be used as a burial ground.The present church of St James consists of a chancel with vestry and organ chamber on the north, nave with north aisle and a large mortuary chapel on the south, and a tower with spire on the west end of the north aisle. The walls are of stone and the roof is covered with slate; the spire being of timber covered with oak shingles. There are three bells. The church is adorned with numerous monuments.The church and priest of Waresley were mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086.
WARESLEY, a parish in the hundred of TOSELAND, county of HUNTINGDON, 4¼ miles (N.N.E.) from Potton, containing 231 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £8.16.5½., and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Pembroke Hall, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew.
Extract is from "Samuel Lewis Topographical Gazeetter - 1831"
Return to Locations and Buildings page
Last Updated on: 29 September
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.