BURY


This extract is from "Samuel Lewis Topographical Gazeetter - 1831"


BURY, a parish in the hundred of HURSTINGSTONE, county of HUNTINGDON, 1 mile (S.) from Ramsey, containing 337 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and diocese of Lincoln, endowed with 200 private benefaction, and 200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of George Maule, Esq. The church, dedicated to the Holy Cross, is the eastern part of a large crucifom edifice, and exhibits a mixture of Norman and early English architecture, with some interesting specimens of both; the entrance to the chancel from the nave is under a carved wooden screen. Bury formed part of the possessions of Ramsey abbey; and there is a strong stone bridge of two arches over a small brook, which is supposed to have been built by one of the abbots.

Return to Places Index page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 2 August 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.