CHESTERTON


This extract is from "Samuel Lewis Topographical Gazeetter - 1831"


CHESTERTON, a parish in the hundred of NORMAN-CROSS, county of HUNTINGDON, 4½ miles (N.N.W.) from Stilton, containing 95 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at 17.3.4., and in the patronage of the Earl of Aboyne. church, dedicated to St. Michael, is principally in the early style of English architecture. Midway between this and Castor is the site of Durobrivæ, the fort of which was placed on the Huntingdonshire side 0f the river Nene; and at Castle field is a large tract enclosed by a ditch and rampart, with the Roman road Ermin-street running through it obliquely. On making a turnpike road across the site of the ancient city of Durobrivæ, several stone coffins, urns, and coins, were dug Up; and by the side of the high road near this place, in 1754, was found a coffin of yellowish stone, six feet two inches long, within which were a skeleton, three glass lachrymatories, some coins, and scraps of white wood inscribed with Greek and Roman letters.

Return to Places Index page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 27 July 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.