DENTON


This extract is from "Samuel Lewis Topographical Gazeetter - 1831"


DENTON, a parish in the hundred of NORMAN-CROSS, county of HUNTINGDON, 1¾ miles (S.W.) from Stilton, containing 90 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Huntingon, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at 5.13.6½, and in the patronage of the Executors of the late Captain Wells, R.N. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was partly rebuilt in 1665 by Sir John Cotton. Sir Robert Bruce Cotton, Bart., a celebrated antiquary, who manuscripts, called the Cottonian Manuscripts, are now in the British Museum, was born here in 1570.

Return to Places Index page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 14 August 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.