GREAT GRANSDEN


This extract is from "Samuel Lewis Topographical Gazeetter - 1831"


GRANSDEN (GREAT), a parish in the hundred of TOSELAND, county of HUNTINGDON, 7¼ Miles (S.E. by E.) from St. Neot's, containing 545 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at 5.7.3½., endowed with 200 private benefaction, and 200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Clare Hall, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. There is a place of worship for Baptists. A school-house was built by subscription in 1664, and endowed under the will of the Rev. B. Clay, then vicar; and in 1819 a house was erected for the master. Throughout this parish are scattered many diluvial remains, consisting of primitive and secondary rocked and fossils of almost every description, mineralised wood and vegetables, the vertebrae of the lchthyosaurus, &c.

Return to Places Index page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 14 August 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.