HOLYWELL


This extract is from "Samuel Lewis Topographical Gazeetter - 1831"


HOLYWELL, a parish in the hundred of HURSTINGSTONE, county of HUNTINGDON, 2 miles (E. by S.) from St. Ives, containing, with the hamlet of Needingworth, 782 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king’s books at £30.6.3. The Duke of Manchester was patron in 1804. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, stands on a hill, at the foot of which is a spring of clear and excellent water, called the Holy Well, formerly held in great veneration, but now neglected. The river Ouse runs through the parish.

Return to Places Index page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 12 September 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.