RAMSEY


This extract is from "Samuel Lewis Topographical Gazeetter - 1831"


Ramsey AbbeyRAMSEY, a market town and parish in the hundred of HURSTINGSTONE, county of HUNTINGDON, 11 Miles (N.N.E.) from Huntingdon, and 68½ (N. by W.) from London, containing 2814 inhabitants. The only feature of importance in the ancient history of this place is a mitred abbey of Benedictine monks, of great wealth and magnificence, founded here, in 969, by Ailwine, Alderman of all England, and Duke or Earl of the East Angles, and dedicated to St. Mary and St. Benedict, the revenue of which, at the dissolution, was valued at 1983.15.3.: the site is now occupied by a private residence, partially consisting of the remains of the ancient fabric, and still exhibiting the gateway in a fine state of preservation. The town is situated at the bottom of a hill on Bury brook, and on the verge of the fens. The market is on Wednesday; and a fair is held on July 22nd, for cattle and toys. A manorial court leet, at which a constable is appointed, is held annually in May or June. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and diocese of Lincoln, and in the patronage of William Henry Fellowes, Esq. The church, which is dedicated to St. Thomas à Becket, is partly Norman, and partly in the early style of English architecture. There is a place of worship for Independents. Various benefactions in land have been made for the support of a free school and a spinning school, but, owing to frequent inundations, the schoolhouse became ruinous, and the institution declined.

Return to Places Index page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 5 January 2002
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.