SAWTRY ALL SAINTS
SAWTRY (ALL SAINTS), a parish in the hundred of NORMAN-CROSS, county of HUNTINGDON, 3½ Miles (S.) from Stilton, containing 501 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £6.15.7½, and in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire. The church, which is ancient, has three seats, or stalls, on the north side of the chancel. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A monastery, in honour of the Blessed Virgin, was founded in 1146, by Simon, Earl of Northampton who brought hither from the abbey of Wardon, or Sards, in Bedfordshire, a convent of Cistercian monks, whose revenue at the dissolution was estimated at £199.11.8.
Return to Places Index page
on: 9 August 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.