Herefordshire GenWeb Home
Dedicated to providing free information for family historians searching for their roots in Herefordshire, UK. Page updates are in process. We hope to build a repository of information not available anywhere else online.
Search This Site:
|search engine by freefind|
Herefordshire is an English county in the West Midlands on the border of Wales. Herefordshire is known for Hereford cattle, cider, apples and pears. It's the most rural and least populated county in England. To the North is Shropshire, to the east, Worcestershire, to the southeast, Gloucestershire, and to the west are the Welsh counties of Monmouthshire, Breconshire, and Radnorshire. Boundaries changed over the centuries. Searching neighboring locales is wise--your ancestors may have travelled for worship, or have been born or buried outside of the places where they lived.
Hit a brick wall in searching for your kin? Have you tried:
- Searching in neighboring counties - see bottom of page
- Posting to a message board - try Rootsweb Herefordshire message boards
- Joining a mailing list - RootsWeb Herefordshire lists (by county, nationality, etc.)
- Searching by Surnames - RootsWeb has surname lists and surname boards
- Find a Facebook group - search by surname or by location
Share your Herefordshire discoveries
GenWeb depends on YOU for content. Do you have content to share? Genealogy is about both looking back and leaving records for future researchers. Do you have questions, comments, or want to report a broken link or other issue, contact Jo Swearingen at email@example.com.
Drop us a note if you can share things like:
- local family histories, memoirs, diaries, family trees
- old phone or business directories
- links to relevant websites
- success stories--what resources or research techniques have worked for you
- to report an error or broken links
We may be able to scan and digitize books that are no longer under copyright restrictions. Let us know who you are researching so we can grow our Surnames page. Just email us.