‘Leicestershire Genealogical Resources’

 

ARNESBY

This page is still under construction.

Photo’s of Arnesby donated by Wendy in South Wigston

"ARNESBY, or Arnsby, a pleasant and well built village, on an eminence, 8n miles S. by E. of Leicester, and 7 1/2 miles N.E. of Lutterworth, has in its parish 1366 acres of enclosed land, and 505 inhabitants, many of whom are framework knitters. The soil is chiefly a strong fertile clay. The manor has been held by the Dispencer, Peverill, Beaumont, Saltmarsh, and other families; and in 1292, Hugh le Despencer had a market and fair here. The manorial rights are now held jointly by Mr. John Tebbs and Miss A. M. Clark; but a great part of the soil belongs to J S Sherwin, esq., Mr J Howcutt, and several smaller owners, some of whom occupy their own land." [White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of the Counties of Leicester and the Small County of Rutland. 1st Edition 1846]

 

[Leicestershire OPC] [Parish List] [Hathern] [Swithland] [Woodhouse Eaves] [Thurcaston] [Arnesby] [Cosby] [Countesthorpe] [Whetstone] [Wigston Magna] [Houghton On The Hill] [Barkby] [Castle Donington] [Lockington] [Kegworth] [Ashby De La Zouch] [Sysonby] [Barrow Upon Soar] [Ravenstone] [Census] [Useful Links] [Maps] [Pictures] [Latest Additions]