Lincolnshire logo

Allington (East and West)

Description and Travel

Allington is one of those odd birds in the parish tree. The civil parish of Allington includes the two ecclesiastical parishes of East Allington and West Allington. In ancient times, West Allington was an ecclesiastical parish and East Allington was a chapelry (chapel of ease) of nearby Sedgebrook parish. There were two separate villages. East Allington was separated from the parish of Sedgebrook on 18 October 1872 and united with West Allington.

To further confuse things, East Allington is south and slightly west of West Allington. East Allington is north of Sedgebrook parish and West Allington is south of Long Bennington and Foston parishes. Just east of East Allington is Bottesford in Leicestershire. The two parishes cover about 2,100 acres of land.

The united village of Allington lies mostly in West Allington and partly in East Allington parish. It sits 4.5 miles north-west of Grantham and ten miles south-east from Newark. A little to the south of the village is an ancient Chalybeate spring called Salt Well. If you plan to visit:

Top

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 617
1861 R.G. 9 / 2481
1891 R.G. 12 / 2715
Top

Church History

St. James Cross

St. James Churchyard

Holy Trinity Church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

History

Year  Person
1868 William NEALE
1872 William NEALE, farmer
1882 James TAYLOR, vict.
1913 Fdk. Wm. MUXLOW
1930 Fdk. Wm. MUXLOW
Top

Land and Property

Top

Manors

Top

Maps

Top

Military History

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Names, Personal

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

     Year  East Allington  West Allington
1801 243
1831 357
1841 276 120
1871 267 141
1881 331
1891 291
1911 214
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 9-December-2014
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2002 EnglandGenWeb Project