Lincolnshire logo

Ancaster

Description and Travel

This village and parish lies just over 7 miles north-east of Grantham and 6 miles west of Sleaford. The parish covers about 3,000 acres and includes the hamlets of Sudbrook and West Willoughby (both west of the village of Ancaster). Wilsford parish is just to the east, with Honington parish to the west and Barkston parish to the south-west.

North of the village, the B6403 (High Dike) is the dividing line between South and North Kesteven.

The village of Ancaster is east of the A607 trunk road at Honington. It has a train station, once a part of the Grantham, Sleaford and Boston branch of the Great Northern Railway. The houses on the east side of Ancaster village are in Wilsford parish. If you are planning a visit:

Top

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2103
1861 R.G. 9 / 2352
1871 R.G. 10 / 3361
1891 R.G. 12 / 2586
Top

Church History

St. Martin Church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

History

Top

Manors

Top

Maps

Top

Military Records

For a photograph of the Ancaster War Memorial and the list of names on the plaque, see the Roll of Honour site.

There are two Commonwealth War Graves in Ancaster Cemetery; one for WWI and one for WWII:

  1. George BENTLEY, lance bombardier, 464 Bty. Royal Artillery, age 46, died 19 Apr. 1942. Husband of Ethel BENTLEY, Ancaster.
  2. J. E. PORTER, priv., 7th Btn. Lincs Regt., age 29, died 10 Jan. 1915.
Top

Names - Geographical

Top

Nobility

Top

Politics and Government

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 336
1811 381
1821 439
1841 480
1851 589
1861 682
1871 646
1881 650
1891 600
1911 536
1921 789
1931 758
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 2-October-2013
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2002 EnglandGenWeb Project