Lincolnshire logo

Appleby

Description and Travel

This village and parish is in the north of Lincolnshire on the old Roman Road known as Ermine Street, just a few miles from the conubation of Scunthorpe. The Old River Ancholme flows by just east of the village. The parish of Roxby with Risby borders on the north and west, with Broughton parish to the south.

The fine stand of forest in the south of the parish is part of the Broughton Woodlands. The parish covers 6164 acres of land. It includes the hamlets of High and Low Santon (near Scunthorpe) and Raventhorpe township and hamlet. If you are planning a visit:

Top

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2400
1871 R.G. 10 / 3432
1881 R.G. 11 / 3286
1891 R.G. 12 / 2627
Top

Church History

St. Bartholomew's Church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

History

Top

Manors

Top

Maps

Top

Military Records

David WRIGHT has a photograph of the Appleby War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2005.

For a photograph of the Appleby War Memorial and the list of names on the plaque, see the Roll of Honour site.

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 394
1831 517
1871 607
1891 610
1911 632
2001 597
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 26-December-2013
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2001 EnglandGenWeb Project