Barrow on Humber (Barrow upon Humber)
- A cemetery of 2 acrfes was set aside in 1856.
- The Cemetery was enlarged to 6 acres in 1896. It has two mortuary chapels and has been under the control of the Burial Board of the Parish Council.
- The parish was in the Barton sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
- We have a handful of 1901 census surnames in a text file. Your additions are welcome.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||R.G. 9 / 2403
||R.G. 10 / 3436
||R.G. 12 / 2629 & 2630
||R.G. 13 / 3107
- In the 6th or 7th century, St. Chad founded a convent here on land given by Wilfhere, King of Mercia.
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity.
- The church was apparently built around 1500.
- The church was partially restored in 1841 and again in 1856 and a third time in 1869.
- The church seats 400.
- There is a photograph of Holy Trinity Church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
- David WRIGHT has a photograph of Holy Trinity Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2003.
- Here is a photo of Holy Trinity Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
- Here are two photographs of the interior of Holy Trinity Church, taken by Debbie SHEARWOOD (who retains the copyright):
- David WRIGHT has a photograph of Christ Church in New Holland on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2006.
- Here is a photo of Christ Church in New Holland hamlet, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
- The Anglican parish church register dates from 1561.
- The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage indexes and a burial index for the Yarborough Deanery to make your search easier.
- David WRIGHT has a photograph of the Methodist Church in New Holland on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2006.
- There were also chapels for Wesleyan Methodists, Primitive Methodists and Congregationalists in the town. For more on researching these chapel records, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- Holy Trinity Church is the home of the Barrow-upon-Humber Ringing Centre, a nationally recognised centre of excellence in the teaching of the historic heritage art of English Change Ringing. A number of historic records and archives relating to the village and its bells and ringing around the area are lodged in the North East LIncolnshire Council Archives at Grimsby. They have their own Informational website, but the archived ringers material contains a lot of information about village residents connected with the church and community. Thank you, Rt. Rev. Barry PEACHEY.
- Also check our Church Photos web site.
- The parish was in the Barton sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
Barrow on Humber parish sits, naturally enough, on the banks of the Humber River in the far north of Lincolnshire, only 3 miles east of Barton. New Holland is a hamlet in the parish, once a common point for ferryboat travel across or along the Humber River. The parish covers just over 5,000 acres.
The village of Barrow on Humber sits about 2 miles south of the Humber River. A stream, called Leden Beck, flows from the village north to the Humber. Many buildings in the centre of the village date from the 18th and 19th centuries. If you are planning a visit:
- By automobile, take the A1077 trunk road east out of Barton-on-Humber.
- David WRIGHT has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in Septembert, 2006. The webpage author suggests that you stop in and ask for a schedule of current events. Tghe Hall can be rented for family reunions.
- See our touring page for visitor services.
- Barrow-upon-Humber Castle is the remains of an enormous earthwork motte and bailey, built in the Norman style. The site is just north of the village and visible from West Hann Lane, with car parking by the side of the road. See the Barrow-upon-Humber Castle web site for more details.
- The first ferry between New Holland & Hull was started in 1803 by a Tommy DENT. He built a shed and a cottage by the mouth of a creek.
- Between 1820 & 1826, a Joseph BROWN of Barton, formed a company "The New Holland Proprietors" and bought land in the Oxmarsh area of the town (there still is an Oxmarsh Lane in the town) and started a ferry service near the creek. In 1826, they built an inn called the Yarborough Arms close to the creek, on the Barrow Road.
- In 1832, a steam packet called the "Magna Charta" was introduced as the ferry across the River Humber. The Stamford Mercury reported the news on 17 August, 1832.
- David WRIGHT has a photograph of the Magna Charta Pub in New Holland on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2005. At last report in 2010, this Inn was closed.
- The Great Grimsby & Sheffield Junction promoters bought the New Holland Ferry for £10,000 in 1845. They formed the Humber Ferries Company and added a second steam packet called "The Falcon". New Holland was chosen by them as the terminus of a branch line from their main line between Grimsby & Gainsborough. In 1846, this company amalgamated with others to form the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway or M,S,& L(nicknamed the Mucky, Slow and Late) In 1848 this company built the line from Louth to Grimsby and then New Holland. The company also bought two new ferry boats and named them "Queen" & "Prince of Wales" A new inn, the "Yarborough Arms" was opened in April 1848, to replace the old one demolished during the construction of the railway. The new branch line was opened on 1st March 1848 and a train ran from Louth to New Holland.
- David WRIGHT has a photograph of the old Market Cross on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2003.
- The Barrow Fair used to be held every October 11th.
- In 1856, the Barrow Gas Works was established.
- Barrow Hall was the seat of Major G. C. UPPLEBY in 1871. It is on the south side of the village.
- There is a book, The Manor of Barrow, The Copyhold Tenants, by Helen GRAY and Neil WILKYN, 1994, ISBN unknown.
- The national grid reference is TA 0721.
- You'll want an Ordnance Survey Explorer map, which has a scale of 2.5 inches to the mile.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
- During the Great War, the Royal Flying Corps established an emergency landing field here. No flight operations were ever launched from this field.
- Lieut. Arthur William ROWLANDS of the Royal Flying Corps crashed here in New Holland on 15th August 1917.
- David WRIGHT has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2013.
- David WRIGHT also has a photograph of the Roll of Honour In Holy Trinity Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2009.
For a list of the names on the War Memorial, see the Roll of Honour site.
For a list of names from the New Holland War Memorial in Christ Church. See the pop-up file New Holland Memorial list.
- James HARRISON: Born in 1704 James was eleven years his brother's junior and controversy surrounded his role in the construction of the first two chronometers H1
and H2. However, it is likely that James worked on both H1 and H2.
As carpenters the church records show that the Harrison's made coffins and also
worked on the repair and construction of bell frames and church furniture.
Amongst the earliest record of James' work is the sundial, which he made for
Holy Trinity Church Barrow in 1732 and which bears his signature.
In 1733 James made the bell frame for York Minster. The frame, which housed a
peal of twelve bells, was a major commission and in fact was the largest frame
he ever built. The timing of this commission indicates that during the
construction of the first sea clock the brothers carried out other works in
order to supplement the financial support of the Board of Longitude.
James lived in a water mill at Market Rasen from approximately 1753 onwards but
he retained an interest in Barrow and following his death in 1766 James was
returned to Barrow upon Humber for burial in the village of his birth.
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincolnshire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the north division of the ancient Yarborough Wapentake in the Glanford district (North Lindsey division) in the parts of Lindsey.
- District governance is currently provided by the North Lincolnshire Council.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became part of the Glanford Brigg Poor Law Union.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Barton-on-Humber petty session hearings.
- A National School was built here in 1850.
- A Public Elementary School replaced the National School in 1895. It could hold 300 children.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.
Last updated on 24-October-2013
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.
© 2004 EnglandGenWeb Project