Bennington Grange is not an ancient parish of Lincolnshire. The parish was established by Queen Victoria in 1858, formerly an extra-parochial portion of Long Bennington parish. There wasn't really a central village as such, but a collection of farms and the ruins of a moated mansion or villa about two miles south of the village of Long Bennington. The parish covered about 270 acres. It has since been amalgamated with Long Bennington for civil purposes.
The moated ruins are reported to have been the farm house of the local Priory. If you are planning a visit:
- The countryside is very flat. Kate JEWELL has a photograph of the countryside on Geo-graph, taken in 2006.
- Visit our touring page for more sources.
- The parish was in the Balderton sub-district of the Newark Registration District.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The Family History Library has census records only for this parish. See the table below.
||Film / Fiche
||H.O. 107 / 2138
||R.G. 9 / 2481
||R.G. 10 / 3544
||R.G. 11 / 337x
||R.G. 12 / 2715
- There are no church records for Bennington Grange. See Long Bennington parish.
- The LFHS has published several marriage indexes for the Grantham Deanery to make your search easier.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Balderton sub-district of the Newark Registration District in Nottinghamshire.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which started in July, 1837.
- The Bennington Grange moated site is listed as an Ancient Monument.
- In 1871, most of the land in the parish was owned by the Earl of Dysart, J. E. WELBY.
- In 1913, The Earl was still the principal landowner.
- The national grid reference is SK 8342.
- You'll want an Ordnance Survey Explorer 247 or 260 map, which has a scale of 2.5 inches to the mile.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
- The name is from the Old English Beonna+ing+tun, meaning "Farmstead of Beonna".
[A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
- This place was an ancient extra-parochial area in Lincoln county. It became a modern Civil Parish in December, 1858.
- The parish was in the ancient Loveden Wapentake in the South Kesteven district in the parts of Kesteven.
- For today's district governance, contact the South Kesteven District Council.
- The Civil Parish was abolished in April, 1931, and the land amalgamated into Long Bennington Civil Parish.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Spittlegate petty sessional hearings.
- As a result of the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Newark Poor Law Union.
- There is no record of a school in Bennington Grange.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.
Last updated on 18-November-2015
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator
© 2002 EnglandGenWeb Project