Lincolnshire logo

Blyton (Blyton cum Wharton)

Description and Travel

Blyton is both a village and a parish about four and a half miles northeast of Gainsborough and about 153 miles north of London. Laughton parish lies to the north and Pilham parish to the southeast. The parish covered about 4,700 acres in 1913. The parish once included the 250 acre farms of Redhill and Greenhill as extra-parochial lands, but these were formed into a separate civil parish between Blyton and East Stockwith by 1872. These farms were occupied by the BELTON family. The parish also includes the hamlets of Wharton and Carr (or Car). Wharton is one mile southwest of the village of Blyton. Carr was west of Blyton, near the River Trent.

The village of Blyton lies on a rise, astride the Brigg to Gainsborough Road (the A159). If you are planning a visit:

Top

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 628
1851 H.O. 107 / 2119
1861 R.G. 9 / 2406
1871 R.G. 10 / 3441 & 3442
1891 R.G. 12 / 2632
Top

Church History

Blyton St. Martin parish church

Blyton St. Martin parish church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

History

Top

Land and Property

Top

Manors

Top

Maps

Top

Military History

Top

Military Records

For a photograph of the Blyton War Memorial and the names inscribed on it, see the Roll of Honour site.

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Names, Personal

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 377
1831 551
1851 716
1861 746
1871 721
1891 742
1911 822
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 4-March-2014
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2004 EnglandGenWeb Project