Brigg (Glanford Brigg)
Note: Brigg is NOT an ancient parish of Lincolnshire. It was first formed in 1864.
Brigg (Glanford Brigg) is a large village, market town and a parish 163 miles north of London, also 16 miles southwest of Hull and 24 miles north of Lincoln. Wrawby parish lies to the north and Broughton parish to the west. The area is flat, drained by many small canals. The parish covers only 462 acres.
The village lies on the east bank of the New River Ancholme, which flows north toward the River Humber. A small part of the town lies on the west side of the river, but this section is within the parishes of Broughton and Scawby. If you are planning a visit:
- The M180 motorway and the A18 trunk roads pass through the parish. The A18 actually passes through the heart of the village, where the A1084 trunk road begins its winding way south and east out of town as it heads to Caistor.
- See our touring page for visitor services.
- The cemetery is on the Wrawby road, a short distance from the town. The cemetery was not opened until August, 1857. It was enlarged in 1909 to about five acres.
- The parish was in the Brigg sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
- A portion of the parish was in the Caistor sub-district of the Caistor Registration District.
- Many early census returns will be listed under Wrawby.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||H.O. 107 / 650
||H.O. 107 / 2116 thru 2118
||R.G. 9 / 2398
||R.G. 10 / 3420 & 3429
||R.G. 11 / 3284
||R.G. 12 / 2625 & 2626
||R.G. 13 / 3102
- In 1699, a small chapel of ease was built here.
- The Anglican parish church is in the centre of town, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist. It was rebuilt in 1842-3 on the site of the earlier church (above). Some of the outside stone work was restored in 1893. The church seats 450 people.
- There is a photograph of St. John's Church on the Wendy Parkinson Church Photos web site.
- Here are two photos of St. John's Church, taken by Ron Cole (who retains the copyright):
- The Anglican parish church register of baptisms and marriages dates from 1843 and burials from 1857. See Wrawby parish for earlier entries.
- We have a handful of entries in our parish register extract. Your additions to this are welcome.
- The Family History Library in Salt Lake City has baptisms for 1843 - 1916 on microfilm #1450442.
- There was a Catholic Church on Bigby Street, dedicated to St. Mary, built in 1815 and seating about 120.
- The Congregationists had a chapel on Wrawby Street, founded in 1718. There was also a chapel for Wesleyans, one for Primitive Methodists and another for United methodists. For more information on records available for these chapels, please see our Nonconformist Chapels page.
- The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage indexes and a burial index for the Yarborough Deanery to make your search easier.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Brigg sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
- For centuries, Brigg was a small fishing hamlet. But its location caused it to be a commercial trade hub and it grew quickly in the 19th century.
- In the reign of King John, Adam PAYNEL founded a Hospital here, subordinate to Selby Abbey. All traces of the Hospital have disappeared.
- There used to be a weekly Market Day on Thursdays in the village.
- The parish held a stock fair on August 5th of each year.
- A servant hiring fair was held each year on the Friday before old May-day.
- The Great Central railway had a station here in the mid-19th century.
- Around 1840, there were a number of packet vessels and trading vessels travelling daily or once or twice a week to Hull, Leeds, Wakefield, etc.
- The Corn Exchange was erected here in 1850.
- The Brigg Gas Works was erected in 1886. It replaced the original works built in 1836 and renovated in 1849.
- The Brigg Water Works was established in 1852, taking as its source St. Helen's spring in Wrawby parish.
- A rare book on local history is, "A history of 19th Century Brigg," by Frank Henthorn; former history master of Brigg Grammar School.
- The national grid reference is TA 0007.
- You'll want an Ordnance Survey Explorer map, which has a scale of 2.5 inches to the mile.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
Michael Peck provides us with: "Brigg (St John) Roll of Honour has now been recorded. Names, ranks and arms of service mentioned are:"
Brigg branch of the British Legion. Lest we forget.
Page 2 - In memory of those our comrades who fell in the Great War 1914 - 1918
Page 3 - They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them.
Page 4 - Navy
- Barnes W. AB RNR HMS Hawke
- Batchelor F. Gunner RMA HMS Hogue
- Bridgewater W. Steward HMR(?) FA Thrush
- Clark CF. Stoker HMS Diadem
- Denton AJ. Warrant Officer RN
- Draper F. AB RN
- Rushbrook W. Private RND
- Harrison T. Petty Officer SS Horne
Page 5 - Army
- Huskinson FJ. Captain Inniskillings
- Sowter GHJ Captain 5th Lincs
- Bean KF Lieut Royal Scots
- Hartley WP. Lieut 5th Lincs
- Hett RT. Lieut ASC 2nd Lincs
- Hubble HL. Second Lieut 4th Lincs
- Margetts PA. Second Lieut 6th Lincs
- Nainby W. Second Lieut 2nd Lincs
- Page MS. Second Lieut 2-4th Lincs
- Sowter FJ(?) Second Lieut 4th Buffs
- Temple W. Second Lieut London RC(?)
- Westoby RH. Second Lieut 3rd Lincs
- Darcy G. Sergt Major 9th Kings
- Young T. Staff Sergt MT-ASC
- Draper A. Sergt 5th Lincs
- Hyke E. Sergt 5th Lincs
- Tweed A. Sergt 5th Lincs
- Farrow H.S. Corporal RF East Surrey
- Brown A. Private 1-5th Lincs
- Burman J. Private West Yorks
- Cade J.W. Private Lincs
- Clark J. Private 10th Lincs
- Cleary M. Sapper RE
- Coney H. Private Lincs
- Daubney E. Private 2-5th Manchesters
- Dann CS. Private 1st Essex
- Devine T. Private Grenadier Guards
- Drayton F. Private RFA
- Dunderdale JT. Private 6th Lincs
- Edlington FJ. Trooper 1st Lincs Yeomanry
- Elliott J. Private 5th Lincs
- Ellis W. Driver ASC
- Forth G. Private East Yorks
- Fosket J. Private 1-5th Lincs
- Goates S. Private London Scottish
- Hayman G. Private Lincs
- Heath MT. Private Lincs
- Holmes H. Private West Yorks
- Holmes W. Private Lincs
- Johnson H. Private 12th East Yorks
- Kenning WH. Private RAMC
- Leaning JW. Private 1-5th Lincs
- Leaning F. Private West Yorks
- Maltby FA. Gunner 21st Div RFA
- Neal J. Private Kings Royal Rifles
- Newbury C. Private Lincs
- North F. Private 2nd Durham LI
- Parkin R. Private Lincs
- Rayner H. Private 6th Lincs
- Roberts AM. Private KOYLI
- Roberts GF. Private 1-5th Lincs
- Roberts WJ. Private East Yorks
- Robinson GW. Private 1-5th Lincs
- Robinson WL. Private 9th Lincs
- Rose T. Private 1-5th Lincs
- Simpson A. Private Lincs
- Jackson GH. Corporal 12th Royal Sussex
- Wray J. Corporal 5th Lincs
- Brown GH. Lance Corporal RAMC
- Henderson DA. Lance Corporal 52nd West Yorks
- Cross G. Lance Corporal KRR
- Leeson JW. Lance Corporal 2nd Lincs
- Long WHC. Lance Corporal 1st Lincs
- Rogers A. Lance Corporal 12th Middlesex
- Sipling F. Lance Corporal Lincs
- Walker J. Lance Corporal Lincs
- Eggleston J. Bombadier RFA
- Ainger H. Private London Scottish
- Alcock HD. Private 5th Lincs
- Altoft E. Private East Yorks
- Bains WH. Private Sherwood Foresters
- Bird A. Private 1st Lincs
- Bannister AW. Private ASC
- Bell G. Private 1st Lincs
- Binns JW. Private Devons
- Boston JE. Private 6th Lincs
- Sipling F. Gunner RGA
- Smith H. Private 5th Lincs
- Spight L. Private 1st Lincs
- Standerline JW. Private 1st Lincs
- Stephenson A. Private Lincs
- Streets R. Private 1st Leicesters
- Streets W. Private Royal Marines
- Symonds PB. Driver 2nd Batt OTAGO
- Taylor TE. Private 2nd Borders
- Temple H. Private 10th Lincs
- Tingay HS. Signaller 1-8th West Yorks
- Turtle A. Gunner RGA
- Usher GB. Sapper RE
- Whitelam E. Private Lincs
- West H. Lance Sergt 5th Lincs
Royal Air Force
- Bean WS. Lieut RE. RFC
- Harrison BPB. Lieut RFC
Page 15 - The following also gave their lives in the Second World war 1939 - 1945
- Algar SA. Gunner
- Altoft J. Private
- Barke R. Corporal
- Barton WK. Sergt
- Barratt GE. Private
- Blanchard JWA. Private
- Beel CE. Sapper
- Booth LG. Driver
- Brown GE. Private
- Boston J. Private
- Carnaby S. Gunner
- Drayton JW. Gunner
- Dalton GA. Sergt
- Dodds JD. Flight Sergt
- Durham LG. Gunner
- Ellerby H. Sergt
- Fisher JW. Private
- Goates JP. LAC
- Green H. Private
- Heath AE. Private
- King FPC. Flight Sergt
- King AL.(MC) Lieut
- Lang J. Lance Corpl
- Longbottam GP. Sergt Pilot
- Neall HK. Private
- Neall F. AB
- Newbury LW. Sapper
- Odlin ED. Sapper
- Parkin F. Sergt
- Parker S. AB
- Glanford Brigg may derive from a corruption of Clampford, from the clamps or planks of timber, laid down in ancient times across the ford and its swampy approaches. A stone bridge was later built to cross the river. It was after the stone bridge was built that the town was called Brigg
- The name is often rendered as Glamford Briggs, Glanford Brigg, Glandford Brigg or even Glanford Bridge.
- Mike EDWARDS reports the name as 1787, Glamford Briggs, 1807. Glanford Bridge, 1845, Glandford Bridge, 1866, Glamford Briggs, 1895, Brigg, and 1904, Brigg.
- Baileys British Directory for 1784 lists the following people in Brigg: [Mark in Barcelona]
BENTLEY, Henry, Furrier
CLIFFE, Benjamin, Furrier
FOSTER, William, Linen-draper
GOODWIN, Jonathan and John, Corn-factors
HILDYARD, John, Cutler
HOLDGATE and MACE, Corn-factors
HOLDGATE, William, Linen-draper
HOLLINGWORTH, Wm. Corn-factor
LEADBEATER, Roger and Joseph, Furriers
NICHOLSON, Richard, Attorney at Law
TOST, Benjamin, Corn-factor
WOODWARD, John, Linen-draper
- The "Lincolnshire Star" was published here from 1906 until 1927, weekly, on Fridays.
- For more on newspapers, see our Newspapers webpage.
- In 1864, Brigg was recognized as a separate urban district by local authorities.
- The parish was constituted as an ecclessiastical parish on 13 August 1872, from parts of Bigby, Broughton, Scawby and Wrawby parishes.
- The parish was in the ancient Yarborough Wapentake in the Glanford district and parts of Lindsey.
- The Urban District of Glanford Brigg covers a larger area than the parish. Parts of several neighboring parishes are included.
- About 1664, William THOROLD left a yearly rent-charge of 40 shillings for the apprenticing of a poor boy.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became part of the Glanford Brigg Poor Law Union.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Brigg petty session hearings.
Population figures may include parts of Brigg urban district in other parishes. In 1841, for example, the town's population was given as 2,300. And in 1872, as over 3,165.
- A Free School was founded here by Sir John NELTHORPE, baronet, in 1669. This became the Brigg Grammar School which was built in 1674 and enlarged in 1878 on what was latter called Grammer School road. The buildings were enlarged again in 1912.
- The Brigg Grammar School was still in operation in the 1940's.
- Brigg National School was built on Albert Street in 1855 with room for about 200 boys.
- Brigg National School was built on Bigby Road in 1855 with room for about 183 girls. It has been reported that this school closed around 1930.
- An Infants School was established on Coney Court in 1848 with room for about 180 children. The building was originally an old warehouse and was converted for use as a school. It was part of the National School system when opened.
- A Catholic School was built on Bigby Street (year unknown, but prior to 1900) and held about 80 students.
- Brigg has the Briggensians Association with a list of students since 1879.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.
Last updated on 27-June-2013
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.
© 2004 EnglandGenWeb Project