Lincolnshire logo

Burgh le Marsh

Description and Travel

Burgh le Marsh is both a village and a parish that lies near the Orby Marsh 126 miles north of London, about 8 miles east of Spilsby and 5 miles west of Skegness on the A158 trunk road. Croft parish lies to the south, Orby to the north, and Winthorpe parish to the east. The parish contains about 4,390 acres of land.

The village itself sits on a small rise above the marshland. Once a Roman settlement, Burge le Marsh has been a thriving Market Town since the 16th century. Time has caught up and the town now has its own web site. If you are planning a visit:

Top

Archives & Libraries

There is a branch of the Lincolnshire Library on the High Street.

Top

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1871 R.G. 10 / 3393B
1891 R.G. 12 / 2604
Top

Church History

Burgh le Marsh Church

Burgh le Marsh Church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

History

Top

Manors

Top

Maps

Top

Military Records

For a photograph of the Burgh le Marsh War Memorial and the names on it, see the Roll of Honour site.

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

     Year  Inhabitants
1801 716
1831 906
1871 1,236
1881 1,136
1891 969
1911 937
1991 2,001
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 8-May-2012
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2002 EnglandGenWeb Project