Lincolnshire logo

Byard's Leap (Bayard's Leap)

Description and Travel

Byard's Leap is not an ancient parish of Lincolnshire, but its history goes back centuries. It was formed as a separate civil parish between 1851 and 1871 under an act of Queen Victoria. The parish was six miles WNW of Sleaford and 12 miles north of Grantham on the Old Roman Road, just about where the A17 trunk road crosses it now. North Rauceby parish lies to the south-east and Cranwell parish to the north-east.

It contained a farm of 250 acres, belonging in 1871 to Colonel John REEVE and occupied by Richard BESTALL, and a couple of cottages. In 1913, the farm was still in the REEVE family, but occupied by Thomas MAYFIELD. The parish has since been amalgamated with Cranwell parish.

There is no village here, but the RAF College is nearby. If you are planning a visit:

Top

Census

Year Piece no. Film / Fiche
1841 H.O. 107 / 61x 0438756
1851 H.O. 107 / 2101 0087730
1861 R.G. 9 / 2344 0542957
1871 R.G. 10 / 3351 0839358
1881 R.G. 11 / 322x 1341769
1891 R.G. 12 / 2580 6097690
Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

History

Top

Maps

Top

Names, Geographical

Byard is derived from the name of a knight's horse. The horse was reputed to be bay-coloured, and his name Byard or Bayard. It is also possible that the horse's name derives from the Old English Bere or "barley". In many older records the name is recorded as Bayard and that's how you will find it listed in many Directories of the 19th and 20th centuries. The name, today, is rendered without the apostrophy, as Byards Leap.

Top

Politics and Government

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

     Year  Inhabitants
1871 20
1881 27
1891 28
1901 16
1911 18
1921 21
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 1-September-2012
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2002 EnglandGenWeb Project