Caistor 1828-1829

Pigot and Co.’s
National Commercial Directory for 1828-9

Published by J. Pigot & Co.
24, Basing-lane, London & 18, Fountain-street, Manchester

Pages 518-519 (in the directory book)

 

CAISTOR,

Or Castor, a small market-town, in a parish of the same name, is chiefly in the wapentake of Yarborough, and a small part in the hundred of Walshcroft. The place is of great antiquity, and its present name is derived from the Castrum, which was built by Hengist, who, after defeating the Picts and Scots, obtained from Vortigern as much land here as he could encompass with the hide of an ox, which being cut into small strips or thongs, encircled a large plot of ground, on which he built a fortified mansion, called by the Saxons Thuang Castor. The town is situated 157 miles from London, 23 from Lincoln and 8 from Brigg, in a fertile part of the county, and noted for its excellent springs. The parish church, which is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, is a fine old edifice of the early English and Saxon architecture; the living is a vicarage and prebendary, and the Rev. Isaac Wilson is the incumbent. Amongst the singular tenures of this country may be noticed the following ceremony, which takes place at the parish church every Palm Sunday. A proprietor of an estate in this neighbourhood sends an agent to the north porch, where he is enjoined to crack, what is here called a horse gad (a whip) three times, while the clergyman is reading the first lesson, he then proceeds into the church and waves the stock of the whip, to which is appended a purse, containing 2s. three times over the clergyman’s head, and after remaining in the church till the service is concluded, he proceeds to the manor house, where the whip and purse are deposited. Here is a free grammar school, founded in 1630; a house of industry, and a savings’ bank. The market-day is Saturday; and there are three fairs in the year, viz. the Friday before Palm Sunday, for sheep and cattle; the Saturday before Whitsuntide, and the Friday after Old Michaelmas, for cattle and pleasure. The population of the whole parish, in 1821, consisted of 1,388 inhabitants, of which number 135 were in the chapelry of HOLTEN-LE-MOOR.

 

POST OFFICE, Cornhill, George Capes, Post Master. -- Letters arrive by horse post from BRIGG at five every evening, and are despatched at seven in the morning.

 

GENTRY AND CLERGY.

Booth Miss Elizabeth                          Market place

Bowstead Rev. Rowland

Dixon Jas. G. gent.                              Horse market

Lawrence Mrs. Susannah                   Market pl

Moore Rev. George                             Vicarage

Mouncey Rev. William

Turner Rev. Saml. M.A.                       Market pl

Turner Rev. Saml. jun. M.A.                Market pl

Turtell Mrs. Alice                                  Market place

 

ACADEMIES AND SCHOOLS.

Beverley Catherine                               Horse market

FREE GRAMMAR SCHOOL

     Rev. Rowland Bowstead, head master

     Charles Forster, second master

Mackintosh Miss (ladies’ boarding)  Grove house

 

ATTORNEYS.

Cocking Thomas                                 Horse market

Dixon Marmaduke (coroner & clerk to the commissioners of taxes)

Haddlesey Charles Wray

Marris Geoge

 

BAKERS & FLOUR DEALERS.

Arnold Robert

Berry George                                       Market place

Gorbutt Eleanor

 

BLACKSMITHS.

Carr Mary

Gunnil William

 

BOOKSELLER & STATIONER.

Witham John (& printer)                      Butter mkt

 

BOOT AND SHOE MAKERS.

Frankish George                                 Market place

Lancaster John

Rawling Thomas                                 Cornhill

Singleton Henry                                    Horse market

 

BUTCHERS.

Gorbutt Isaac

Gorbutt Thomas

Hannath William

Popple John

Sharp Charles

Watmough William                              Market place

Watson Robert

 

CHYMISTS & DRUGGISTS.

Frankish Edward                                 Butter market

Pennington Jonathan                          Cornhill

Snell James                                         Market place

 

FIRE, &c. OFFICE AGENTS.

ATLAS, Thos. Cocking                       Market pl

COUNTY, Thos. Towle                       Market pl

NORWICH UNION, Marmaduke Dixon

 

GROCERS AND TEA DEALERS.

Bell John Tesh                                     Market place

Booth Samuel                                      Market place

Capes George                                     Cornhill

Hoyland Robt. (& chandler)                Cornhill

Saundby Nathaniel                              Butter market

Towle Thomas (& tallow chandler)    Market place

 

HAIR DRESSERS.

Everatt Thomas                                    Cornhill

Odling John

 

INNS, TAVERNS & PUBLIC HOUSES.

Angel, Matthew Waller

George (commercial Inn & posting house)
     John Day                                         Cornhill

Golden Fleece, John Jones

Griffin, John Kennington

Joiner’s Arms, John Cuckson             Market place

King’s Arms, Thomas Watmough

King’s Head, John Wells

Marquis of Granby, Frans. Foulston

Plough, Jas. Taylor                              Horse market

Red Lion (commercial Inn)
     John Quickfall                                   Market place

Rein Deer, William Dunn

Sloop, Robert Crampton

Talbot, William Watmough

White Hart, William Dunn

Windmill, Jno. Simpson                      Horse mkt

 

JOINERS.

Button James (and cabinet maker)  Horse market

Hanson Thomas

Moody Wm. (& builder)                       Horse mkt

 

LINEN & WOOLLEN DRAPERS

Hoyland Robert                                     Cornhill

Saunby Nathaniel                                Butter market

Towle Thomas                                     Market place

 

MALTSTERS.

Carr John and Co.

Dixon Ts. & Co. (& tanners)                Horse market

 

MILLERS & FLOUR DEALERS.

Garland Thomas

Parker John

Raley William

Rayton John

Shepherd John

 

MILLINERS.

Bowstead Grace                                 Market place

Capes Elizabeth                                 Cornhill

Everet Elizabeth                                  Market place

Gorbutt Susannah (and straw hat maker)
                                                             Market place

 

PLUMBERS & GLAZIERS.

Peat Thomas                                       Horse market

Wells John

Wright Marmaduke (and painter)       Horse market

 

SADDLERS.

Hall Henry                                             Market place

Kirby William                                       Cornhill

Surfleet William

 

SURGEONS.

Oliver George                                      Market place

Porter George Markham

Smith Benjamin                                    Market place

 

TAILORS.
    
Marked thus * are Drapers also.

Jolland Charles                                   Horse market

* Kennington Wm.                               Market place

Knapton Thomas

Stoakes John                                       Cornhill

* Utterby John

Wright Joseph



TEACHERS.

Brown Stephen (music)                      Horse mkt

Cleavin John (music)



WATCH & CLOCK MAKERS.

Pybus William                                      Market place

Wiglesworth Thomas



WHEELWRIGHTS.

Dunham John

Kennington Thomas

Walker James



WINE & SPIRIT MERCHANTS.

Bell Dixon                                             Market place

Smith & Mason (& porter)                   Market pl



Miscellaneous.

Atkinson Sarah, breechs maker         Horse market

Capes George, ironmonger & subdistributer of stamps
                                                             Cornhill

Foster Joshua, rope maker

Hannah Rd. shopkeeper                     Market pl

Hiley John, currier                                Horse market

Kirby Mary, confectioner

Knapton William, auctioneer

Kynman Thomas, machine maker

Pearce Wm. S. brazier and tinman   Market place

SAVINGS’ BANK
     --- Marmdke. Dixon, treasurer

Tudd John, turner

Varlow William, cooper

Watmough Charles, brick maker

 

CARRIERS.

To BARTON, Robert Martin, from the George, & James Jubb, from the Griffin, every Saturday at one.

To BRIGG, George Holgate, from the George Inn, every day at four, & Henry Singleton, from his house, every Thursday morning at six.

To GRIMSBY, J. Emmerson & J. Curtis, from the Griffin, every Saturday at two.

To LOUTH, Francis Blacklock, from the George Inn, every Saturday at three.

To MARKET RASEN, Hen. Singleton, from the Sloop, every Thursday morning at seven, and James Spittlehouse, from the same place, every Saturday at three.



Transcribed by  Mr. William Wallworth
San Jose, California USA  2005



This directory page is for Genealogical and Historical research purposes.  It is not to be copied for the purpose of mass producing and profit making.



Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 22-March-2007
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.