Lincolnshire logo

Chapel St. Leonards

Description and Travel

Chapel St. Leonards is both a village and a parish that lies on the North Sea 7 miles north of Skegness, about a mile north of Ingoldmells and two miles north of Addlethorpe off the A52 trunk road. Hogsthorpe parish is immediately to the west. The parish covers over 1,300 acres.

Chapel St. Leonards was formerly Mumby Chapel or Mumby St. Leonard's.

This is a holiday town, with all the good and bad that go with being a tourist attraction. The city sports miles of golden sand beaches and the businesses that cater to the summer visitor. In August, the village hosts a week-long carnaval festival. For folks on holiday, there are caravan parks, but no tent-camping facilities near the village. For more information, contact:

There is a Chapel Pit Nature Preserve of over 3 acres in the parish, maintained by the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust:

Excavated for clay for the repair of the sea banks following the floods of 1953, the flooded pit has marginal reedbeds and aquatic plants, such as water-crowfoot and great reedmace. Fifteen species of ducks have been recorded, mainly in winter. Grebes, divers and wild swans are also often seen in winter. In summer breeding species include reed and sedge warblers, lesser whitethroat, and great crested and little grebes. In August and September thousands of migrating swallows and house martins roost in the reedbeds. Screens of willows around the banks of the pits have been planted in order to reduce disturbance to birds.
Top

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2110
1861 R.G. 9 / 2378
1871 R.G. 10 / 3397
1891 R.G. 12 / 2604
Top

Church History

St. Leonard parish church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

Maps

Top

Military History

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

     Year  Inhabitants
1891 240
1911 261
1991 2,884
Top

Schools

Top

Societies

Chapel St. Leonards sports an Action Group; local people who are interested in seeing that the youth of the village have a place to call their own, and it includes representatives from Lincolnshire County Council youth service, the community development officer; the community safety officer, the coastal youth council and local police. All are working to ensure that, eventually, a permanent building will be made available for youth for their own use.

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 14-October-2012
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2002 EnglandGenWeb Project