Lincolnshire logo

Claypole

Description and Travel

This village and parish lies just east of the A1 motorway as it heads north from Grantham to Newark. The River Witham flows northward along the west side of the parish. The county of Nottingham forms the western and northern border of the parish, with Fenton and Stubton parishes to the east and Dry Doddington to the south. The parish covers about 3,000 acres.

The village of Claypole is 115 miles north of the city of London, only 5 miles south-east of Newark-on-Trent and about 20 miles south-west of the city of Lincoln. The River Witham runs through the parish. If you are planning a visit:

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2482
1871 R.G. 10 / 3545
1891 R.G. 12 / 2716
Top

Church History

Claypole St. Peter parish church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

History

Top

Maps

Top

Military Records

In 1930 the parish had the "Claypole Ivy Leaf Club & Institute" for discharged sailors and soldiers. Alfred MUSSON was secretary. It is not known if any records survive.

For a photograph of the Claypole War Memorial Plaques and the names on them, see the Roll of Honour site.

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 486
1841 562
1871 783
1881 678
1891 593
1901 542
1911 494
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 24-November-2013
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2002 EnglandGenWeb Project