Lincolnshire logo

Coates (Coates by Stow)


Note: There are several places called Coates in Lincolnshire, such as Great Coates, and others in other English counties, like Wiltshire.

Description and Travel

Coates (Coates by Stow) is both a parish and a cluster of buildings about 9 miles south-east of Gainsborough, 9 miles north of the city of Lincoln and about 151 miles north of London. The parish itself is lies between two branches of the River Till, bordered on the north by Fillingham parish, on the west by Stow parish, and to the south by Ingham parish. The parish covered about 950 acres in 1842, later increased to just over 1,000 acres. The parish includes the hamlet of Bransby.

Coates was, in 1842, a single farm in the western Wolds. If you are planning a visit:

Top

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2410
1871 R.G. 10 / 3447
1891 R.G. 12 / 2636
Top

Church History

Coates Saint Edith parish church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

History

Top

Land and Property

Top

Manors

Top

Maps

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Names, Personal

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 33
1831 55
1851 46
1861 54
1871 36
1881 44
1891 54
1911 37
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 13-January-2014
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2003 EnglandGenWeb Project