Lincolnshire logo

Corby (Corby Glen)

Description and Travel

Corby is both a village and parish. It lies on the east side of the River Glen, 11 miles southeast of Grantham and 14 miles north of Stamford, and 8 miles northwest of Bourne on an old Roman road that led to Ancaster. The ancient parish covers a little over 2,900 acres. In older times, it was a site of several stone quarries and a flour mill. The parish includes the small hamlet of Birkholme.

The heart of Corby village is an ancient place, 97 miles north of London. The A151 trunk road (the Roman road to Ancaster) runs through the village. The village has grown in post-WWII years to be a commuters' community. If you are planning a visit:

Top

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2095
1861 R.G. 9 / 2315
1871 R.G. 10 / 3311
1881 R.G. 11 / 3195
1891 R.G. 12 / 2555
Top

Church History

Corby St. John's church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

History

Top

Land and Property

Top

Manors

Top

Maps

Top

Military History

Top

Military Records

There is one Commonwealth War Grave from World War II in St. John's churchyard:

  1. Eric G. GRIFFITHS, able seaman, Royal Navy, age 20, died 23 Mar. 1942.
Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1086 270
1801 436
1831 654
1851 958
1861 818
1871 786
1891 745
1901 718
1911 710
1921 664
1931 650
1991 607
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 26-January-2014
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2008 EnglandGenWeb Project