Lincolnshire logo

Denton

NOTE: There are "Denton" villages and parishes in Cambridge, Norfolk and other counties in England.

Description and Travel

Denton is both a village and a parish. The parish is about 4 miles southwest of Grantham on the old Melton Mowbray road (now the A607). The parish itself is bounded on the north by Barrowby parish, on the east by Harlaxton parish, to the west by Woolsthorpe and Harston (Leicestershire) parishes, and on the south by Wyville parish. The parish covers about 2,650 acres.

The village of Denton is about a mile south of the Grantham and Nottingham Canal, which effectively forms the border with Barrowby parish. A rivulet, which rises from near Denton House, supplies a small reservoir and feeds into the Grantham Canal. If you are planning a visit:

Top

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2102
1861 R.G. 9 / 2349
1871 R.G. 10 / 3357
1891 R.G. 12 / 2583
Top

Church History

St. Andrew Church

St. Andrew Church

St. Andrew Church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

History

Top

Land and Property

Top

Manors

Top

Maps

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Names, Personal

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 446
1831 547
1841 626
1851 650
1861 637
1871 572
1901 642
1911 578
1971 273
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 6-January-2013
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2003 EnglandGenWeb Project