Note: There is also a Dunsby hamlet in Braunswell parish, northwest of Sleaford.
- This parish was part of the Aslackby sub-district of the Bourne Registration District.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||H.O. 107 / 2095
||R.G. 9 / 2316
||R.G. 10 / 3313
||R.G. 12 / 2556
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- All Saints Church has portions dating to the 13th Century, although the tower and most of the structure is from the 14th Century.
- The church was restored in 1857.
- The church seats 170.
- John BLAKESTON has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2011.
- Here is a photo of the church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
- The Anglican church parish registers exist from 1538.
- Dunsby is in the Aveland and Ness Deanery. You may wish to purchase some of the Deanery marriage indexes.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Aslackby sub-district of the Bourne Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration starting in July 1837.
Dunsby is both a village and a parish 4 miles north-east of Bourne. The A15 trunk road, formerly known as the "Great Road from London to Lincoln," passes down the west side of the parish. Hacconby parish lies to the south, Rippingale parish to the north. The South Forty Foot Drain completes the eastern border. The Carr Dyke runs through the parish. The parish covers over 2,670 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
- Dunsby Hall was the residence of Thomas PICK in 1900.
- The national grid reference is TF 1026.
- You'll want an Ordnance Survey Explorer map, which has a scale of 2.5 inches to the mile.
- See our Maps page for resources.
For a list of the names of the men who died in World War I, see the Jamie and Sue site.
- The name Dunsby is from the Old English Dun+by, for "farmstead of Dun(n)", appearing in the 1086 Domesday Book as Dunesbi.
[A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].
- This place was an ancient parish of Lincolnshire and became a Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient Aveland Wapentake in the South Kesteven district in the parts of Kesteven.
- For today's district governance, contact the South Kesteven District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Bourne petty session hearings.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Bourne Poor Law Union.
- The parish built a National School here in 1855 that could hold 50 students.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.
Last updated on 9-October-2013
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.
© 2001 EnglandGenWeb Project