Lincolnshire logo

Edlington

Note: There is an Edlington parish in South Yorkshire (and the West Riding) as well. That parish contains villages of "Old Edlington" and "New Edlington".

Description and Travel

Edlington is both a village and a parish about two miles north west of Horncastle. Bounded on the east by the River Bain, the parish is bordered on the south by Thimbleby parish, to the south-west by Horsington and on the west by Wispington. The parish is in the west part of The Wolds and covers about 2,740 acres.

White's Directories of Lincolnshire indicate that Edlington parish, in the early 1800's, extended in a long narrow strip some nine miles to the River Witham. More recent parish boundary maps do not show this extension. But earlier maps do show a long thin strip of land extending to Stixwould parish. That strip of land was annexed to Horsington parish after 1832.

Edlington village sits on a hillside, is small and lies mostly on the south side of the winding main street. If you are planning a visit:

Top

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2107
1861 R.G. 9 / 2368
1871 R.G. 10 / 3382
1891 R.G. 12 / 2598
Top

Church History

Edlington St. Helen's church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

History

Top

Manors

Top

Maps

Top

Military History

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Names, Personal

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 137
1811 189
1821 263
1831 216
1841 254
1851 182
1871 243
1881 213
1891 199
1911 162
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 5-November-2013
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2003 EnglandGenWeb Project