Fishtoft is both a village and parish on the east coast of Lincolnshire. The parish has a long, north-south orientation that extends from near Boston to The Wash at "The Scalp" at the end of The Haven River. The parish of Freiston lies to the east, Skirbeck to the west and Wyberton to the south. The parish covers about 4,200 acres and includes Cowbridge Drain.
Fishtoft village lies east-south-east of Boston. If you are planning a visit:
- Take the A52 north and east out of Boston. Just before Haltoft End, take the secondary road south to Fishtoft.
- Birdwatching is popular in the Fens area. Check on information regarding Frampton Marsh.
- See our touring page for visitor services.
- The parish was part of the Benington sub-district of the Boston Registration District.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||H.O. 107 / 607
||H.O. 107 / 2098
||R.G. 9 / 2333 & 2334
||R.G. 10 / 3337 & 3339
||R.G. 11 / 3215
||R.G. 12 / 2571
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Guthlac.
- The church is of Norman origin, circa 1214.
- There is a photograph of St. Guthlac's Church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
- Here is a photo of St. Guthlac's Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
- There was a Chapel of Ease at Fishtoft Drove. All records should be with the parish church.
- The LFHS has published several indexes for the Holland East Deanery to make your search easier.
- The Wesleyans had a small chapel here. For information and assistance in researching this chapel, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Benington sub-district of the Boston Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
- From: Palmer-Brown, C. & Johnson, S. 1997. "Archaeological excavation and watching brief report", Whitehouse Lane, Fishtoft, Lincolnshire: "Fishtoft produced the remains of possible turf-built rectangular buildings and associated ditches. These structures appear to have had a very short life from around the late 9th to middle 10th centuries and would seem to have burnt down".
- A Coast Guard station was built at Hobhole Bridge. The officer in charge in 1900 was William MARSHALL.
- The Parish Hall was built in 1922.
- The cell where the Pilgrims were imprisoned in 1607 can be seen at the Guildhall Museum. Close by at Scotia Creek is a memorial stone marking the place where the Pilgrims made their first failed attempt to reach Holland.
- This note on Edmund Quincy: Went over to America with John Cotton in 1633, he is traditionally said to have resided at Fishtoft. He lived a very little time in America, dying in 1636, at the early age of thirty-three. He left a son, Lieutenant-Colonel Edmund Quincy, who died in 1698; and from him descended, in the male line, Josiah Quincy, junior, who was very prominent during the revolutionary period; and, in the female line, John Adams, and John Quincy Adams, the second and sixth Presidents of the United States, and the late Chief Justice Cranch, of the District of Columbia.
John Emerson, who retains the copyright, provides these photographs of the Pilgrim memorial at Fishtoft:
- The National Grid Reference is TF 3642.
- You'll want an Ordnance Survey Explorer #261 map, which has a scale of 2.5 inches to the mile.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
- There is a hospital in Fishtoft, but access to historical medical records is unknown: Beech House, Toot Lane, Fishtoft, Boston, Lincolnshire, PE21 0AX.
From the Fishtoft War Memorial by John Emerson:
To the Glory of God and in grateful memory of those who laid down their
lives in the Great War 1914-1918
|Pte W. E. AVISON
||Wounded and disabled:
|Gunner J. ALEXANDER
||Cpl W. T. MILLS
|Pte F. BORMAN
||Pte C .H. ALLEN
|Pte W. COOLING
||Pte A. E. BOSNELL
|Pte R. DRURY
||Pte F. DRURY
|Pte J. GILBERT
||Pte J. HUNT
|Driver J. H. JOHNSON
||Pte J. C. HORNBUCKLE
|Pte J. J. SHIELDS
|Pte J. TAYLOR
|Pte E. TEESDALE
|Gunner E. A. WAINER
Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends
In honour of those who also served
|Sapper S. HOYES
||Pte F. INGAMELLS
||2nd Lieut A. R. MILLS
|Pioneer J. HORRY
||Ldc Sea H. JOHNSON
||Pte A. MINNS
|Pte R. HARDY
||Trooper C. H. JOHNSON
||Driver A. E. MINNS
|Pte H. HARRIS
||Pte A. JOHNSON
||Pte S. METCALF
|Pte W. P. HICKS
||Gunner J. D. H. KIRK
||Lto C. F. PARKER
|Pte C. H. HICKS
||Pte L. LEE
||Pte G. T. PICK
|Pte C. HILTON
||Pte J. T. LEADBEATER
||Pte G. TAYLOR
||Ldc Sea A. LEWIS
In honour of those who also served
|L/cpl W. R. ROYLE
||Driver F. SHARPE
||Sapper R. VINES
|Pte G. S. RUSH
||Pte S. SMALLEY
||Pte F. VINES
|Pte F. S. ROBSON
||Pte H. SOUTHON
||Cpl J. H. WARMSLEY
|Pte F. SMALLEY
||Pte A. SOUTHON
||Pte T. F. WARMSLEY
|Pte E. STOPPER
||Bom J. H. TOYNTON
||Stoker W. WOODCOCK
|Driver C. H. SMALLEY
||Pte J. TEESDALE
||Rev J. H. B. HAMMOND M.A.C.F.
|Pte C. SIMPSON
||Driver J. R. ULYATT
||Pte S. SIMPSON
|Driver H. SMALLER
||Gunner C. L. ULYATT
In honour of those who also served
|L/cpl W. B. ARLISS
||Signaller J.C. BEE
||Pte Herbert ELDING
|Sapper C. W. ALLEN
||Pte T. CRAVEN
||Pte Henry ELDING
|Sapper P. H. ALLEN
||Driver C. CLARK
||Driver W. EBBUTT
|Pte T. W. ARLISS
||Driver C. H. CLARK
||Driver C. R. HOLMES
|Sapper C. W. BORMAN
||Pte C. COOLING
||Pte W. HOLMES
|Gunner C. BENTON
||Pte J. C. H. DENCH
||Pte R. C. MOYES
|Pte J. BUCKNALL
||Pte L. ELLERBY
||Pte G. B. HOLMES
|Pte F. BEE
Also to those who made the supreme sacrifice in the second World War 1939-1945
|Miss R. WOODS
||Sgt obs G. RYSDALE
||Tpr R. A. WILLAIMSON
|Pte P. GILDING
||Pte T. C. HILTON
||Gnr K. GILES
||L/cpl C. DODSON
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient Skirbeck Wapentake in the parts of Holland.
- In December, 1880, a detached portion of Boston, containing a population of 193, was added to Fishtoft parish. On that same date, portions of the Fishtoft Fen Allotment, containing 183 inhabitants, were added to Langrick and Frithville parishes.
- For today's district governance, visit the local Boston Borough Council.
- In 1617, Richard SMYTH left three acres for the benefit of the poor.
- In 1629, Thomas JOHNSON left 3s and 4d per year from the Red Cow Inn for the benefit of the poor.
- The Common Lands were enclosed here in 1724.
- Four cottages were rebuilt in 1828 were set aside as rent free for poor parishioners. Three additional cottages were given by Richard HILL in 1662.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became part of the Boston Poor Law Union.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Kirton and Skirbeck petty session hearings.
- The Fishtoft Endowed School was rebuilt in 1877.
- The Fishtoft School address is: Gaysfield Road, Fishtoft, Boston, PE21 0SF. Tele: 01205 363139. Currently has about 82 students enrolled.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.
Last updated on 18-September-2013
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.
© 2004 EnglandGenWeb Project