- Fulstow was part of the Tetney sub-district of the Louth Registration District.
- The Fulstow History Society has the local census returns for 1851, 1881 and 1891 and will do lookups.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||H.O. 107 / 2112
||R.G. 9 / 2387
||R.G. 10 / 3410
||R.G. 12 / 2611
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Lawrence.
- The church was rebuilt in 1868.
- The church seats 160.
- Rod COLLINS has a good online history of St. Lawrence Church on his website.
- There is a photograph of the Anglican parish church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site, taken by Nicola PIKE.
- Here are two photos of St. Lawrence Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
- The Anglican church registers exist from 1586, although Bishop's transcripts go back to 1561.
- Marriage and Burial registers have been indexed for the Louthesk Deanery by the LFHS.
- Copies of the parish registers are held at the Lincolnshire Archives and cover baptisms 1586 - 1992, burials 1586 - 1890, and marriages 1586 - 1990, as well as the Bishop's transcripts covering 1561 - 1846.
- Fulstow parish is covered in the National Burial Index (NBI) for the years 1814 - 1890.
- Parish registers are NOT on file at the Society of Genealogists as of last report.
- We are beginning a Parish Register Extract in a pop-up text file, and your additions could make this a valuable tool.
- Nikki PIKE has provided an extract of the Overseers records, 1837-1858, from the Parish chest. Most of these appear to be rate payers (tax payers).
- Some RICHARDSON burials appear on our Fulstow Monument Inscriptions list.
- David HITCHBORNE has a photograph of the Methodist chapel built in 1836, on the Geo-graph website, taken in 2004.
- Fulstow had chapels for the Wesleyan Methodists, the Primitive Methodists and the Wesleyan Reformers. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was part of the Tetney sub-district of the Louth Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
Fulstow is both a village and parish in the north of Lincolnshire. The parish lies 8 miles north of Louth and 10 miles south of Grimsby. The parish of Ludborough lies to the west, Marshchapel parish to the east, just across the Louth Navigation Canal. The large Covenham Resevoir lies to the south-east. The parish covers just over 2,800 acres.
The village sits just east of the A16 trunk road and is best reached by turning east off the A16 at Ludborough.
If you are planning a visit, then:
- Visit the local Tourist Bureau in Louth.
- Many people like to stay at this trio of award winning cottages:
Waingrove Farm Country Cottages
Fulstow, Louth, LN11 0XQ
Tel: 01507 363704.
- For coach or bus service, check the Carlberry Coach website.
- Watch for the Village Sign as photographed by Nicola PIKE on Geo-graph, taken in 2005.
- Visit our touring page.
- Stop by the Village Hall as photographed by Nicola PIKE on Geo-graph, taken in 2005. Ask for a schedule of coming events.
- Put a foot in each hemisphere! Nicola PIKE has a photograph of the Meridian Line Marker on the Geo-graph website, taken in 2005.
- White's Directory of 1872 reports that in 1630 "no fewer than 118 persons, who died of the 'sweating sickness,' were buried" at an artificial mound in Fulstow.
- For more on Fulstow's history, you may want to pick up a copy of "Fulstow, a Marsh Village," approx. £9.99 plus £2.50 p&p.
- The Lord Nelson Public House on Main street dates back prior to 1842. It closed in 1969 and is now a private residence. There is a photograph at The Lost Pubs website.
- These are the names associated with the Lord Nelson Public House in various directories:
||Henry GRANTHAM, vict.
||Cook HARRISON, propr.
||Christr, BARTON, vict.
||Henry Ambrose LOCKWOOD
- The Cross Keys Public House in Fulstow has a long history of service to residents and visitors. A good place to hold a family reunion.
- Brian WESTLAKE has a photograph of the Cross Keys on the Geo-graph website, taken in 2011.
- These are the names associated with the Cross Keye in various directories:
||-- not listed --
||Joseph HILL, joiner
||Joseph HILL, joiner
||Mrs. Harriet HILL
- The national grid reference is TF 3297.
- You'll want an Ordnance Survey Explorer map, which has 2.5 inches to the mile scale.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
- Nicola PIKE has a photograph of the War Memorial on the Traces of War website.
A list of names from the Fulstow War Memorial [provided by Nicola PIKE]. You'll note that the last five are from WWII:
- Pte 8661, Arthur West, 25, 26/05/1916, No known Grave, Prince of Wales Own (West Yorkshire Regiment)
- Pte. 178, George Sutton. Taylor, 20, 01/07/1916, Lincolnshire Regiment "A" Coy. 10th Bn.
- Pte. 15325, Tom Wattam, 20, 19/10/1916, Lincolnshire Regiment 2nd Bn
- Pte. 6804, Albert S Sherriff, 28, 02/12/1916, Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment) 4th Bn.
- Pte. 241684, Herbert Harrison, 22, 24/02/1917, Lincolnshire Regiment 5th Bn
- Pte. 7423, Charles H Kirman, 32, 29/09/1917, 7th Batt Lincolns (He had already been with the 1st & 2nd Batt)
- Pte. 103257, Harold Pennell, 19, 23/11/1917, Machine Gun Corps (Inf) 119th Coy.
- Rifleman S/15683, Herbert E Green, 24, 25/03/1918, Rifle Brigade 16th Bn
- Pte. 505, George Marshall, 23, 23/09/1918, 7th Lincolnshire's
- Pte. DM2/179372, Charles Hyde, 25, 08/11/1918, Army Service Corps 880th M.T. Coy
- Trp. 4802281, John Stanley Maddison, 22, 21/12/1945, Royal Armoured Corps 13th/18th Royal Hussars
- Gunner 1144137, Tom Marshall, 22, 21/07/1944, Royal Artillery 68 Field Regt
- Pte. W/129269, Marjorie Sutton, 24, 11/05/1943, Aux. Territorial Service
- JOINED UP TOGETHER, Pte. W/18246, Viola Wells, 23, 11/05/1943, Aux. Territorial Service
- BROTHER & SISTER, Sgt. 2657028, Claude Marriott, 27, 21/09/1944, Glider Pilot Regiment, A.A.C. 2nd Wing
- The name Fulstow is from the Old English Fugol+stow, for "holy place or meeting place of a man called Fugol". In the 1086 Domesday Book it first appears as Fugelestou and in other sources as Fugelstow.
[A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
- You will hear locals pronounce the name like "FULL-sta".
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient Bradley Haverstoe Wapentake in the East Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey in the 19th century.
- You may contact the Fulstow Parish Council regarding civic or politcal issues, but they are NOT funded or staffed to do family history lookups for you.
- For today's district governance, see the East Lindsey District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Grimsby petty session hearings.
- The Common Lands were enclosed here in 1819.
- Poor relief dates back to at least 1819 when Bull Meadow, 4 acres, was alloted to the poor.
- After the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act reforms, the parish became part of the Louth Poorlaw Union.
- A National School was built here in 1866. The current primary school has a web site with no history.
- The Fulstow History Society has the local school registers from 1929 - 1972 and will do lookups.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.
- The Fulstow History Society is the local genealogical society.
- The Society has published a book: "A History of A Marsh Village," publ. FHS, 2001.
Last updated on 25-June-2013
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator
© 2002 EnglandGenWeb Project