Lincolnshire logo

Goltho (Goltho cum Bullington)

Description and Travel

Goltho is a parish about 10 miles northeast of Lincoln and 2 miles southwest of Wragby. Wragby parish lies to the east, Rand parish to the north and Apley parish to the south. It is described in White's 1842 Lincolnshire Directory as "a parish of scattered farms." The parish covered about 1,360 acres in 1842. Ecclesiastically, the parish was united with Bullington to form one tithe-free parish in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Lincoln. Together, the two parishes covered about 2,540 acres.

The parish is skirted on the north side by the A158 trunk road as it passes between Lincoln and Horncastle. If you are planning a visit:

Top

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2363
1871 R.G. 10 / 3375
1891 R.G. 12 / 2596
Top

Church History

St. George Church

St. George Church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

History

Top

Land and Property

Top

Manors

Top

Maps

Top

Military Records

There is no war memorial at Goltho, but in the churchyard there is a single gravestone for a WWI casualty. To see it and the name on it, see the Roll of Honour site.

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Names, Personal

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

Figures after 1831 probably include Bullington parish.

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 137
1821 140
1831 143
1841 159
1851 159
1871 157
1881 106
1891 113
1911 105
1991 64
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 14-January-2014
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2004 EnglandGenWeb Project