Lincolnshire logo

Goulceby (Goulsby)

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2107
1861 R.G. 9 / 2367
1871 R.G. 10 / 3381
1891 R.G. 12 / 2598
Top

Church History

Goulceby All Saints church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

Description and Travel

Goulceby (also found as Goulsby) is both a village and parish in the Wolds, 7 miles southwest of Louth and 7 miles north of Horncastle and bounded on the west by the River Bain. Asterby parish is to the east and Ranby parish to the west. Piewipe Hill in the parish was so named because of it's association with the Lapwing, or Peewit, which, not so long ago, occurred in vast flocks. They are now only seen in relatively small numbers. The parish covers just under 1,200 acres (and was slightly larger before 1900).

The village of Goulceby is in a narrow dale on one of the tributary streams of the River Bain. If you are planning a visit:

Top

History

Top

Maps

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 191
1811 192
1821 244
1831 252
1841 347
1851 379
1871 302
1881 250
1891 198
1911 167
1991 130
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 6-November-2013
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2003 EnglandGenWeb Project