Lincolnshire logo

Great Ponton

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2102
1861 R.G. 9 / 2348
1871 R.G. 10 / 3357
1891 R.G. 12 / 2582
Top

Church History

Holy Cross church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

Description and Travel

Great Ponton is both a parish and a small village about 3 miles south of Grantham and 4 miles north of Colsterworth, as well as just over 100 miles north of London. The parish itself is bounded on the north by Stroxton and Little Ponton parishes and to the west by Wyville parish. The parish covered about 2,700 acres in 1842, increased to 2,900 acres by 1881. In 1900, the parish boundaries allowed 2,744 acres.

Great Ponton village is just west of the Witham River. If you are planning a visit:

Top

History

Top

Manors

Top

Maps

Top

Military History

Alexander KAPP provides a photograph of the War Memorial in the graveyard on Geograph, taken in 2012.

Top

Military Records

For a photograph of the Great Ponton War Memorials and the list of names on them, see the Roll of Honour site.

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

     Year  Inhabitants
1801 411
1841 466
1851 680
1861 561
1871 500
1881 477
1901 475
1911 426
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 4-January-2013
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2004 EnglandGenWeb Project