Lincolnshire logo

Hibaldstow (Hibalstow, Hybalstow, Hibbaldstow, etc.)

Description and Travel

Hibaldstow is both a village and a parish in the north of Lincolnshire, just west of the River Ancholme. A small stream runs from the village to the River Ancholme. The parish lies 163 miles north of London, 19 miles north of the City of Lincoln and 3.5 miles south-west of Brigg. Scawby parish lies to the north, Redbourne parish to the south and Manton parish to the west. The parish covers just over 4,400 acres of low cars (see our Geographic Names page) or marshes.

Parish boundaries have changed over the last two centuries. Go here to find the West Lindsey ward (modern parish) boundaries.

The village of Hibaldstow is about a mile east of the old Roman road, Ermine Street, now the A15 trunk road. If you are planning a visit:

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 637
1861 R.G. 9 / 2398
1871 R.G. 10 / 3428
1891 R.G. 12 / 2625
1901 R.G. 13 / 3101
Top

Church History

St. Hibbald's Church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

History

Top

Land and Property

Top

Maps

Top

Military History

Top

Names, Geographical

The origin of the parish name is Old English Hygebald+stow, for "holy place where St. Hygebald is buried". It appeared in the 1086 Domesday Book as Hiboldestou. Variations in the spelling abound, even within a single document. Some writers have suggested that the name was originally Hubba, a Danish commander or leader.
[A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]

The Venerable Bede in his 'Ecclesiastical History' describes St Hygbald as a most holy and continent man who was an abbot in Lindsey, Lincolnshire. One theory which links St Hygbald with Hibaldstow is that in the year 669 St Chad received the Diocese of Mercia and began to preach in Lindsey, setting up a mission station at or near Cadney. It is thought that Hygbald was a pupil of Chad and that he may well have imitated his teacher and set up his own mission station at Hibaldstow. St Hygbald's links with the village were further re-enforced when during the rebuilding of the parish church in 1866 a stone coffin was unearthed. It contained the bones of a tall and powerful man and it was said at the time that they might well have been the mortal remains of St Hygbald. More information can be found in: Eminson, T.B.F. "Place and River Names of the West Riding of Lindsey, Lincolnshire".

Top

Newspapers

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 443
1811 528
1821 522
1831 632
1841 688
1851 801
1861 775
1871 764
1881 800
1891 818
1901 726
1911 834
1921 898
1931 1,002
1951 1,034
1961 1,142
1971 1,271
2001 2,219
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 19-September-2013
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2003 EnglandGenWeb Project