Lincolnshire logo

Hough on the Hill (Hough le Hill)

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2353
1871 R.G. 10 / 3363
1881 R.G. 11 / 3234
1891 R.G. 12 / 2586
Top

Church History

All Saints Church

All Saints Church

Brandon parish chapel of ease

Brandon parish chapel of ease

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

Description and Travel

This village and parish lies just 7 miles due north of Grantham and about 9 miles west of Sleaford. Caythorpe parish is just to the northeast, with Normanton parish to the east and Hougham parish to the southwest. The parish covers about 4,000 acres.

The village of Hough on the Hill sits appropriately on a commanding rise. The hamlets of Brandon (two miles northwest of the village) and Gelston (one mile southwest) are part of the parish. Brandon is between two branches of the River Brant (hence its name). On Castle Hill, near the church, are several springs, often cited as the source of the River Brant. If you are planning a visit:

Top

History

Top

Land and Property

Top

Maps

Top

Military History

Surname  Given names Notes
AYTO William
ARMSTRONG Thomas
BAKER Ernest
DEACON George
FOX Herbert
CLEAVER George
PALMER William
ANDERSON Sidney
CARTER George
HAYWARD Claude
ADAMSON Isaac
NORTHOVER Neville
Surname  Given names Notes
McCREARY A. Wilfrd Captain, The Loyals
BAMFORD Frank E. Driver, RHA
BAMFORD J. Archie L/Cpl
LAMB T. William Driver, RE
Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Names, Personal

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 385
1841 582
1851 605
1861 655
1871 640
1891 509
1911 496
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 1-September-2012
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2003 EnglandGenWeb Project