Lincolnshire logo

Lea (Lee)

Note: Lea is a relatively common placename in England.

Description and Travel

Lea is both a village and a parish about 2 miles south-south-east of Gainsborough and about 146 miles north of London. The Trent River forms the western parish border, Upton cum Kexby parish lies to the east and Knaith parish to the south. The parish covered about 2,050 acres in 1842. At that time, the parish included the hamlets of Lea Wood and Lea Marsh, as well as two small spots on the Nottinghamshire side of the river, the Bole and Burton Ferries, created when the Trent forged a new path through the parish. Those have since (circa 1900) been transferred to Nottinghamshire, reducing the size of the parish to about 1,950 acres.

In 1842, the village of Lea still contained many thatched dwellings, "finely shaded with trees". The village lies astride the Torksey Road. If you are planning a visit:

Top

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2120
1861 R.G. 9 / 2411
1871 R.G. 10 / 3449
1891 R.G. 12 / 2637
Top

Church History

St. Helen's church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

History

Top

Land and Property

Top

Manors

Top

Maps

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Names, Personal

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 180
1821 199
1831 197
1851 229
1861 194
1871 162
1891 188
1911 184
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 14-January-2014
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2004 EnglandGenWeb Project