Lincolnshire logo

Lenton (Lavington)

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2347
1871 R.G. 10 / 3354
1891 R.G. 12 / 2582
Top

Church History

St. Peter's Church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

Description and Travel

Lenton is both a town and parish nine and half miles southeast of Grantham and four miles west of Folkingham. The parish itself is bounded on the north by Sapperton parish, to the west by Ingoldsby parish and on the south by Irnham parish. The parish lies along the old Roman Road and covers about 1,880 acres.

Lenton is a small village, off the main roads. The parish also included the hamlets of Hanby, Keisby and Osgodby. Hanby is a half mile north of Lenton on the old Roman Road and is believed to have been a separate parish in ancient times. Keisby is a mile southwest of Lenton Village and contains the site of a medieval village. Osgodby is another half mile further south and is the site of a spring and Osgodby Hall. A small beck runs through the parish and feeds into the River Glen. If you are planning a visit:

Top

History

Top

Land and Property

Top

Manors

Top

Maps

Top

Military Records

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Names, Personal

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 280
1841 329
1871 185
1881 178
1891 136
1901 143
1911 118
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 11-October-2013
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2003 EnglandGenWeb Project