Lincolnshire logo

Martin (by Sleaford), Merton

Note: Martin (by Sleaford) is not an "ancient" parish of Lincolnshire. It was formed in 1882.

Description and Travel

This village and parish is 12 miles north-north-east of Sleaford and 14 miles south-east of Lincoln. The parish is a long, narrow structure, generally one mile wide and six miles long, running east to west. The parish was formed on 1 August 1882 from the northern portion of Timberland parish. Timberland parish lies to the south and Blankney parish to the north. The Car Dyke forms the eastern border. The parish covers some 3,780 acres of Fen and black moorland.

The village of Martin was in ancient times known as Merton. Long a township in Timberland parish, this status changed after a surge in population in the mid 1800s. The local Anglican Church was built and the town became the center of the new parish of Martin. The older town of Martin near Horncastle was renamed Martin Dales by the railways to differentiate the two. If you are planning a visit:

Top

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2341
1871 R.G. 10 / 3348
1891 R.G. 12 / 2577
Top

Church History

Holy Trinity Church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

Land and Property

Top

Maps

Top

Military History

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

     Year  Inhabitants
1801 303
1831 640
1841 926
1871 914
1881 822
1891 777
1901 723
1911 719
1921 667
Top

Schools

  • The first school in this village was founded in 1753 by Mrs. Mary KING who endowed it with 33 acres of land for revenue. The school was rebuilt in 1842 and converted into a Public Elementary School. It was enlarged in 1874. Enlarged again in 1898, it was renovated in 1912 to hold up to 130 children.

  • For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 20-April-2014
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2003 EnglandGenWeb Project