Lincolnshire logo

Normanton

Note: There are "Normanton" villages in Yorkshire and Derbyshire as well.

Description and Travel

This village and parish sits 8 miles north of Grantham and just 2 miles southeast of Caythorpe. The parish covers about 1,550 acres. Ancaster parish is just to the southeast, Carlton Scroop parish to the southwest and Hough on the Hill parish to the west.

The village is right on the A607 trunk road north out of Grantham. If you are planning a visit:

Top

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2353
1871 R.G. 10 / 3363
1891 R.G. 12 / 2586
Top

Church History

St. Nicholas Church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

History

Top

Land and Property

Top

Maps

Top

Military Records

Michael Peck provides us with: "The war memorials at Normanton have now been recorded. There are three, one is dedicated to WW1, one to WW2 and the third is to a named individual. There are no numbers, ranks or arms of service mentioned except for the individual:"

WW1 memorial

  1. Frank Cartwright
  2. Walter Crowley
  3. Joseph S Gale
  4. Charles Hedworth
  5. John T Hempsall
  6. Charles E Spendlow
  7. Richard Woods

WW2 memorial

  1. John M Chambers
  2. John D Andrew
  3. David Brister
  4. Edward H Dennison

Individual

  1. The electric lighting of this church was installed by Thomas Chambers in memory of his son Sub-Lieut John M Chambers killed in action 25th Nov 1940
Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Names, Personal

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 160
1841 200
1851 179
1861 172
1871 155
1881 143
1891 143
1911 165
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 2-September-2012
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2003 EnglandGenWeb Project