Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Lincolnshire logo

North Witham

Description and Travel

North Witham is both a village and parish on the River Witham 9 miles south of Grantham and 12 miles north-west of Stamford. The river flows north at this point, toward neighboring Colsterworth parish. Gunby parish lies to the west. The parish covers just over 2,430 acres and includes the hamlet of Lobthorpe. The parish includes a portion of Twyford Wood, a dense forested area that extends into Colsterworth parish.

The village lies about 1 mile west of the A1 Ermine Street (the old Great North Road). If you are planning a visit:

Top

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 624
1861 R.G. 9 / 2347
1871 R.G. 10 / 3355
1891 R.G. 12 / 2582
Top

Church History

St. Mary's church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

History

Year  Person
1868 James DOVE
1872 Joseph MARSHALL, vict.
1882 Joseph MARSHALL, vict.
1900 Elijah MUSSON
1913 Mrs. Mary Ann MUSSON
1930 Henry SMITH

Joseph MARSHALL was born circa 1826 in Auborn, Lincolnshire.

Year  Person
1842 John HARDY, vict.
1868 -- not listed --
1900 -- not listed --
1930 -- not listed --
Top

Manors

Top

Maps

Top

Military History

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 168
1831 273
1841 300
1851 309
1861 278
1871 236
1891 199
1911 126
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 6-December-2013
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2001 EnglandGenWeb Project