Lincolnshire logo

Saxilby (Saxelby)

Description and Travel

Saxilby (sometimes "Saxelby"), not to be confused with Saxby or the Saxelby in Leicestershire, is a parish and small town about 6.5 miles north-west of Lincoln and 142 miles north of London. To the west is Kettlethorpe parish, to the north is Sturton by Stow and to the south-east lies Skellingthorpe parish. Nottinghamshire lies to the south-west. Saxilby parish covers about 4,420 acres. Included in the parish are the two small hamlets of High and Low Ingleby (or "Ingoldby") about one mile north of the main village. The parish is often refered to as "Saxilby with Ingleby".

The village of Saxilby has grown into a small town. It lies on the north bank of the Fossdyke Navigation Canal between Lincoln and Torskey on the Trent River. The River Till flows southward into the Fossdyke just east of the town. If you are planning a visit:

Top

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2363
1871 R.G. 10 / 3375
1891 R.G. 12 / 2596
1901 R.G. 13 / 3066
Top

Church History

St. Botolph

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

History

Top

Land and Property

Top

Maps

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Names, Personal

Top

Politics and Government

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 389
1831 719
1871 1,158
1881 1,191
1901 1,055
1911 1,310
Top

Schools


Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 23-January-2014
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2002 EnglandGenWeb Project