Lincolnshire logo

Scunthorpe

Note: Scunthorpe is NOT an ancient parish of Lincolnshire. It was first formed as a parish in 1889.

Cemeteries

Top

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1871 R.G. 10 / 3433
1881 R.G. 11 / 3287
1891 R.G. 12 / 2627 - 2628
1901 R.G. 13 / 3103
Top

Church History

St. John's Church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

Description and Travel

Scunthorpe is a large village and a parish about 165 miles north of London and 8 miles west of Brigg parish. Broughton parish lies to the east and Messingham parish to the south. The area is flat, drained by many small canals. The parish covers only 1,028 acres. Crosby is a hamlet, formerly in Frodingham parish, which is now a part of the Scunthorpe "conurbation".

The town lies west of the New River Ancholme, which flows north toward the River Humber. If you are planning a visit:

Top

History

Top

Maps

Top

Military History

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Newspapers

Top

Politics and Governance

The North Lincolnshire Council website tells us:

"Frodingham is one of the five villages which were incorporated to form the town of Scunthorpe in 1936 and Frodingham was originally the parish in which Scunthorpe lay. The ironstone which is abundant in the area eventually led to the growth of iron and steelmaking during the 19th century."
Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1851 303
1871 616
1881 2,048
1891 3,481
1901 6,750
1911 13,358
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 19-August-2013
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2005 EnglandGenWeb Project