Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Lincolnshire logo

Stow (Stow in Lindsey)


Description and Travel

Stow is both a village, a township and a parish 150 miles north of London, about 6 miles south-east of Gainsborough, 11 miles north of Lincoln and 13 miles south of Scunthorpe. The parish itself is bordered on the north by Willingham parish and on the west by Marton parish. The parish consists of four townships: Stow, Normanby, Sturton and Bransby. Sturton is the largest of these townships and is a separate village about a mile south of Stow. The parish covers about 4,000 acres.

Stow village is near the River Till. A tributory of the river passes through the village. The River Till passes near the east end of the parish. The village is also about a mile north of the old Roman Road which is now the A1500 trunk road. If you are planning a visit:

Top

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2410
1871 R.G. 10 / 3447
1881 R.G. 11 / 3297
1891 R.G. 12 / 2636
Top

Church History

St. Mary's Church

St. Hugh's Church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

History

Top

Maps

Top

Military History

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 243
1831 385
1871 401
1881 361
1891 289
1901 304
1911 309
1921 287
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 15-January-2014
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2004 EnglandGenWeb Project