Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Lincolnshire logo

Sturton by Stow (Sturton cum Bransby)

Sturton by Stow is NOT an ancient parish in Lincolnshire. It was formed in 1866 out of a township in Stow parish.

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2410
1871 R.G. 10 / 3447
1881 R.G. 11 / 3297
1891 R.G. 12 / 2636
Top

Church History

St. Hugh's Church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

Description and Travel

Sturton is both a village, a township and a parish 150 miles north of London and about 8 miles south-east of Gainsborough, 9 miles north of Lincoln and 15 miles south of Scunthorpe. The parish itself is bordered on the north by Stow parish. The parish covers about 1,550 acres and includes the hamlet of Bransby.

The village is near the River Till which passes near the east end of the parish. The village is bisected by the old Roman Road, also called Tillbridge lane, which is now the A1500 trunk road. If you are planning a visit:

Top

Maps

Top

Military History

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

     Year  Inhabitants
1871 659
1881 646
1891 572
1901 571
1911 586
1921 539
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 17-March-2013
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2004 EnglandGenWeb Project