Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Lincolnshire logo

Swinderby

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2136
1861 R.G. 9 / 2476
1891 R.G. 12 / 2711
Top

Church History

All Saints Church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

Description and Travel

Swinderby parish is 148 miles north of London, approximately 9 miles south-west of Lincoln and 7 miles north-east of Newark on Trent. The parish borders on Nottinghamshire to the west, Norton Disney parish to the south and Thurlby (by Lincoln) parish to the east. The ancient Foss Way, now the A46 trunk road, cuts through the southeast corner of the parish. The Trent River is about three miles to the west. The parish covers about 2,200 acres, including the ancient hamlet of Bracken.

The village of Swinderby sits on a rise above the Trent. The parish sports a new hamlet called Witham St. Hugh's. Morton Hall is a hamlet along Morton Road which has grown in the 1900s on the eastern side of Swinderby village. Morton is a separate hamlet a half a mile to the east. If you are planning a visit:

Top

History

Top

Maps

Top

Military History

There were, in effect, two RAF stations in Swinderby parish.

The Airfield:

Morton Hall station:

Top

Military Records

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 254
1811 307
1841 490
1851 541
1871 548
1881 503
1891 470
1901 423
1911 484
1921 427
1931 361
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 30-October-2012
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2002 EnglandGenWeb Project