Lincolnshire logo

Temple Bruer (Temple Brewer)

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 623
1861 R.G. 9 / 2342
1871 R.G. 10 / 3349
Top

Church History

St. John's church

St. John's church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

Description and Travel

Temple Bruer is both a "modern" parish and very ancient one, but it is not listed as a parish in most pre-19th century records. The reason for this is that it was a parish in Norman times, fell into disuse and was considered an extra-parochial portion of Wellingore parish. A population "explosion" in the 19th century caused it to be incorporated as a modern parish. A decline in the late 19th and early 20th century has caused the parish to be amalgamated again with Wellingore.

Temple Bruer parish was reconstituted on 7 March, 1879 from five contiguous farms. Its center lies 10 miles southeast of Lincoln, 4 miles southeast of Lavenby and 6 miles northwest of Sleaford. Wellingore and Welbourn parishes lie to the west and Brauncewell parish to the south. The old Roman Road, Ermine Street, passes through the western edge of the parish, but at this point is a walkway, not a modern road. Temple High Grange is part of the parish. The parish covered about 3,900 acres.

There was never a "village" of Temple Bruer, just scattered houses. The Temple of Temple Bruer is on PRIVATE property belonging to Temple Farm and the Temple can be found in the farmyard. Access to the Temple is through the farmyard to a car park at the rear. If you are planning a visit:

Top

Genealogy

Top

History

Top

Land and Property

Top

Maps

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Names - Personal

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

     Year  Inhabitants
1801 49
1841 73
1871 149
1881 201
1891 192
1911 208
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 22-November-2011
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2002 EnglandGenWeb Project